Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heat index prohibitive of turning

Heat index prohibitive of turning

The heat index today is about 104 degrees here in my neck of the woods........tomorrow it is supposed to approach 116 degrees here...........I went out to my shop to do a little vacuuming of chips from my last project............sweat just pours.............

I think I will focus on my other work the next couple days...........inside in A/C!!

The news and weather folks are giving warnings to stay out of the heat.......one can get overwhelmed before they realize what is happening ................stay safe everyone!!!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 07-20-2011 at 4:01 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

This is exactly why I just replaced the 6000 btu window unit (which wasn't helping much) with a 12,000 btu unit! Now the shop (15x30) stays pretty comfortably at 76F!!

If I had a time machine, I would go back in time to meet the inventor of the air conditioner....and kiss him (or her) straight on the mouth! I work out in this oven all day long and do not want to sweat when the free time / fun time begins.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Yeah, the index is 114F here right now. I was in the shop an hour ago roughing out a piece of hard Mimosa and gave up after about 20 minute. I love hot weather, but the humidity here just makes focusing on turning tough.

Since I'm on vacation, I think I'm going to have myself a nice nap and get back to it when it cools down a bit this evening.

Temps are supposed to reach 100 in Chicago today with heat index of 106 to 114. My shop is on the fourth floor with huge windows facing east, so it heats up early. I sweated it out yesterday, but may take the day off today. The Cubs are playing a day game today, but their poor play this year can make me more miserable than the oppressive heat.

it's hot here also, i'm walking early but later riding stationary bike, every 2 hours put another coat of poly on before it rains, got one side done today, hope to do the other side tomorrow

That is the advantage of living up north. Way up north. Shop usually stays about 68 degrees. Bumped up 72 yesterday.

We have HI of about 90. WHich is more than I can handle.

Q

With the shop temps starting in the mid-80's in the morning, going up over 100 in the afternoon, not much is getting done out there right now.

I took some green roughouts out of their DNA bath last night. I thought the DNA was going to evaporate away before I could get it poured back in the can!
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

We've had close to 50 days of 100+ temps here in the Panhandle of Texas. Our humidity swings are from the teens to 40% with less than 3 inches of rain since last September. Dry heat or moist, it doesn't matter. Hot is hot. Stay hydrated...

I could almost envy you .... almost!! Here in Auckland New Zealand, it is around 41F overnight and 58F during the day. The workshop is definitely cool in the mornings. In the south island they are getting 32F and lower overnight with around 50 during the day .... too cold for me.

Rhys
    Last edited by Rhys Hanna; 07-20-2011 at 4:20 PM.

Well...I can't really complain. I built my 16x28 shop 15 yrs ago on what just seemed like a suitable flat area on edge of wooded part of our home's lot behind the house. Between the tree canopy and brick veneer...it never gets 'miserable', but a small window AC unit makes it nice in short time. The location works well, even here in the south. A 5KW heater is all I need in winter too...which I expect is a bit small for those of you up by Steve Schlumpf. It's all in the tradeoffs. For what it's worth...I look forward to cooler weather myself to help do those outside jobs.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

I love being a Canadian because I only have to put up with this garbage for about 3-4 weeks per year. Give me winter anytime! In fact, I only see two downsides to winter... Driving in freezing rain and trying to clean up chainsaw shavings from the driveway when there is snow. Today I waited for my chainsawing spot to be in the shade before tackling some yellow birch. It was still nasty but I have enough to bowl stock to keep me in the shop for a few days now.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

Yesterday it was 119 heat index & today it's suppose to be about the same. No A/C in my shop = no turning going on here either.

Roger, in probably less than an hour you could be in a nice air conditioned shop with a nice cool drink too. I've told you before but I'll remind you that my shop is always open to you.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys Hanna View Post
    I could almost envy you .... almost!! Here in Auckland New Zealand, it is around 41F overnight and 58F during the day. The workshop is definitely cool in the mornings. In the south island they are getting 32F and lower overnight with around 50 during the day .... too cold for me.

Rhys
    Now, I could do that year round!!! But.....I am afraid I would not be able to convince Ms. Keeton who loves the snow if only it were 75*!!

15. Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    Roger, in probably less than an hour you could be in a nice air conditioned shop with a nice cool drink too. I've told you before but I'll remind you that my shop is always open to you.
    Hey Tony,

Nice to hear from you! Man, if at present I did not have so many plates spinning, I would take you up on that TODAY! I would love it.........alas, I have so much work to get done, and my 82 year old MIL is coming back today from a few days stay with her other daughter. She now lives with us because of a very serious fall she took, and now she cannot live alone.

I hope to take you up on a "creeker visit" one of these days! Much appreciated!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!