Thread: Market for old batteries??

Market for old batteries??

Is there anyone or anywhere that buys old power tool batteries? I need 2 new dewalt 14.4 volt batteries but thought I might try to offset the expense by selling some old ones. I know about the rebuild programs and plan to go that route but still have several batteries lying around. Thanks
    Hal

I don't know of a standing offer to buy batteries like that. If you could hook up with someone who uses those type of batteries that was interested in rebuilding the packs, they might be interested in them as additional batteries (can you ever have enough?). I've thought about rebuilding my 18 volt B&D Firestorm batteries but then I'd have no excuse to not use those tools and I really don't like those tools...

Buy them? Yeah, right.... The public has been duped in to giving most everything up for recycling for free nowadays, even having to pay to recycle certain things. Companies get this stuff for free, and paid to take it in certain circumstances, man, what a business model that is..... especially given that recycling a lot of things involves no extra cost in doing so, paper, cardboard, plastic, and glass for instance. Even its cost of collection is cheaper than the mining of new raw materials.

The sad part is that todays idea of recycling isn't even the best way to recycle a lot of things, we cart it back somewhere (fuel used), we grind it up (more fuel), melt it down (more fuel), make new raw material (more fuel), transport it some more (more fuel), make another product (more fuel), and transport it several more times (more fuel) before a consumer gets it again. Our focus should be more about reuse (IE. more reusable containers), and repair and reuse. We're being fed cheaply made garbage, and the idea that when it breaks, we should just throw it away and buy a new one. Great business model, eh?

What happened to the cars traded in on the Cash for Clunkers deal is but just one example of recycling gone very, very wrong.

We turned in 1,094 Lb and received a check for approx $145. This was January 2010 and I believe the prices were higher at that time.

The core charge on the 1 ton battery for our electric forklift is around $2,000 but if you have an extra battery, they will buy it for around 10% of that. I believe they are trying to motivate people to return the cores.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 07-20-2011 at 10:11 AM.