Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adhesive sticker material

Adhesive sticker material

Is this always PVC vinyl? Or is there different types. Ie is the type used for car decals different to the stuff printing companies use to make product stickers?
    Have a printing company wanting me to cut their sticker sheets in different shapes, rather than buy the different knives.
    But I presumed this would be the type of material not good for the laser? It is thin white sticker sheets.

Thanks!
    Universal PLS4.60 50 watt
    Honeycomb cutting tray
    Corel X5
    New Zealand

There is some that's a polyester material, but most is vinyl, and that's what is usually used for stickers and labels..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

That's what I thought thanks. I presume the standard would be vinyl for a printing shop.
    I still can't figure how he thinks it would be economical to have a laser do this, he wants quotes for 500, 1000 and 10,000 stickers, he would supply the printed sheets and files, we would just cut.
    But I looked at one of their quotes for a client of 1000 stickers for $389, so I don't see how there is much room for us to make money in there!! All to save him $100 to buy the knife shape.
    But anyway, if the material is going to damage the laser, no point even coming up with a quote!
    Honeycomb cutting tray
    Corel X5
    New Zealand

You will have a difficult alignment issue also, most likely not worth your time
    unless you print too, and use the same artwork for both printing and cutting.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Yes Joe that is what I thought too, the alignment would be a pain.
    Anyway I have spoken to him again and he said they are not PVC vinyl, they are just gloss paper adhesive. I rang another printer and asked them about their sticker stock and they said the same thing, that it is definitely not PVC vinyl, that is thicker and what would be used for windows etc.
    SO sounds like these normal stickers aren't toxic?
    I also asked about the fact that the knives only cost $100 or so, how is it worth outsourcing this. He is think more for when he needs 500 stickers cut to 5 different shapes, so would save $500 or so.
    Anyway will do some math!
    Honeycomb cutting tray
    Corel X5
    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    You will have a difficult alignment issue also, most likely not worth your time
    unless you print too, and use the same artwork for both printing and cutting.
    Absolutely agree...pass on that one.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Whether alignment would be a problem or not really depends on what is being printed. If the particular sticker has text or a graphic with a wide clear margin, it does not need an accurate registration. If there is color to the edge, the printer will design it with bleed (color past the edges of the cut) to allow some registration error. Tight registration will be required when there are graphics (such as an outline border) that you need to follow. Even then, I think the registration could be done pretty accurately.

Whether it will save money for the printer is another question. You have to work out the set-up time and job time and see if the numbers work. It looks a bit doubtful at first glance as steel rule dies are pretty cheap. I think that x-y laser tables have a hard time doing digital die cutting on a competitive basis. A galvo is more suitable. The laser can work for graphics that are really delicate or complex where a steel rule is impractical (and assuming the printer has a big budget to work with.) I have found that for simple shapes, the laser is usually not very competitive.

A lot of potential customers have a very unrealistic idea of what a laser is capable of doing.. I get at least 2 requests every week for something totally out in left field.. But hey! They seen a laser in a movie once..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    Emma,

I'll ask since no one else did... your description of "think white sticker sheets" leads me to believe it's a paper sticker, like what price tags or box labels are made out of, not vinyl (like what a windshield banner would be made out of and cut with a plotter). Can you confirm?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I wouldn't be so quick to turn this down but I would be very concerned with registration. Run a test or two to check that out and to establish a time. I think you'll be surprised at how little time it takes and therefore that it may after all be viable for both of you.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I would definitely do a hot copper test before starting, 95% of material used in the sign industry is PVC. even if they are saying the paper is not pvc then if it has an overlaminate on it, it probably will be pvc based. If you can specify a material to them i would ask them to print on polypropylene paper. Play it safe, if it is for outdoors i can almost 100% guarantee it will be PVC.

We used to register and die cut to within 0.2- 0.5mm on A4 sheets of deskjet vinyl (was not PVC) and it wasn't too difficult. If you have a fast machine and its capable of high spoeed vectoring , you can cut quite quickly - normally its very low power and 100% speed.
    However paper stickers might be an issue as no matter how we tried , there was some discolouration when cutting paper (much more noticeable if you used the laser to cut the white sections), the thicker the paper , the worse the effect was.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

If it has possiblities of long term or higher volume consider a cutter plotter, or maybe just a cutter with an optical sensor.
    They could include registration marks in the print the sensor would read and cut acurately.

I have a feeling that he may be printing these himself on a laser printer cheaply and is just looking for the cut.

Rodne may be able to help on the viabilty of a optical cutter.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to turn this down but I would be very concerned with registration. Run a test or two to check that out and to establish a time. I think you'll be surprised at how little time it takes and therefore that it may after all be viable for both of you.
    That would be my main concern, trying to get the registration correct on something that she didn't print. Otherwise, it might be a pretty good deal for both. If the printer can be consistent every time he prints a sheet, and you can use your setup over and over, it would work.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Here are some pics of stickers we cut from the laser printer. The paper is gloss sticker paper and the brand is Manta. These run through our laser colour copier no hassles.
    Just you need registration mark to cut first and then check and fix your alignment.
    For a few sheets this is the perfect way to do it.
    Excuse the photo quality this was taken with my cell phone.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ian Franks; 07-18-2011 at 10:11 AM. Reason: photo quality
    Ian Franks
    Print Image / Paperkutz
    Johannesburg South Africa
    Machines - 50w chinese laser KM C454.