Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instructions or video for installing byrd head in a Hammer A3 31

Instructions or video for installing byrd head in a Hammer A3 31

I've looked but can't find anything. It sure looks complicated which has made me reluctant to purchase it, or am I just overthinking this....

Anyone have a link to some info ???

Hi Paul, are you looking to upgrade an A3-31 you already own?

Regards, Rod.

Yes. I used a 15" planer the other week with a byrd, it was so quiet and as good a finish in very nasty wood it makes me want to upgrade, but the mechanics of it are making me nervous.

Here is some info you may find helpful - http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fi...llation-shelix. I have been thinking about upgrading my A3-31 to a byrd head as well. I work out of my attached garage, and am limited to when I can use the A3-31 due to the noise. No complaints about the cut quality with the straight blades though.

Hi Paul,

I have no direct experience with your machine, but I did recently put a Byrd head in my Rojek MSP415 16" J/P and it was not hard at all. Total time was less than 3 hours. As long as you have the exploded view of the machine and a decent set of tools it shouldn't be that difficult.

I've never done this and I don't own an A3-31. But I have heard they have good customer service and that they install these heads on their machines once they get state-side (as an option). So maybe you can give them a call for guidance since they probably know more about this than anybody.

It seems that nobody has any clear instructions. I talked to Byrd and Hammer and both indicate a bit of patience and the parts diagram and all will be well. I'll go for it.

Paul, Did you go forward with the installation of the Byrd head on your Hammer A3-31? If so, how did it go? Any problems?

Paul, Did you go forward with the installation of the Byrd head on your Hammer A3-31? If so, how did it go? Any problems?

FWIW I looked at purchasing a used A3-31 in great condition but it came with the straight blade cutters, so I thought Id look into what it would cost and take to upgrade it to a Byrd helical head only to find out neither Byrd nor Hammer/Felder could/would help. Youre pretty much on your own with that upgrade. I was very surprised Byrd had no instructions on the install. Made me think: "uuuhhh, you guys HAVE converted one of these right?! You do know it works dont you? Then why in the heck didnt you shoot some pictures and make a set of instructions when you tested it?!?!"

Conclusion: Ill be buying the A3-31 with the Hammer helical head already installed.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Its not difficult, but it takes patience and the correct setup tools to get it install it so it is level with the planer table and the jointer. I had mine out a couple weeks back again when I broke a plastic part being silly late in the day.

If you were buying a NEW Hammer A3-31, would it not be smart to get their silent power cutterhead?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    If you were buying a NEW Hammer A3-31, would it not be smart to get their silent power cutterhead?
    Yes, however this is a 2012 machine. I'm looking to retrofit my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Yes and wait for the next sale as their sales knock off over a grand if I remember correctly.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Its not difficult, but it takes patience and the correct setup tools to get it install it so it is level with the planer table and the jointer. I had mine out a couple weeks back again when I broke a plastic part being silly late in the day.
    Did you find any instructions online? I'm semi-comfortable with this, as I have done it before on another machine, but this euro machine intimidates me a little.