Thread: What luck!?

What luck!?

I have 2 major projects that we want done to our home now as we are just entering retirement.

1. Reroof the house.
    2. Install new water lines to the house.

Once these are done, they should last my lifetime and all major repairs are finished for the house.

Yesterday the contractor began stripping the roof. He got 1/2 the house roof stripped. Our average annual moisture is 13". He left witout covering 1/2 the roof he stripped the shingles off.

Yup! We had rain last night and it wasn't forecasted.

I will insist he cover any exposed roof before leaving each day from now on.

What luck!

We never get rain in July...until last night.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-12-2011 at 9:58 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The contractors name isn't Murphy, is it?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Ken, hopefully there wasn't any water damage to your house.

It is typical though, just when things are going great..................Regards, Rod.

If everything is going well you have obviously overlooked something. Hope no serious damage.

Like others, hope no damage was done. Like the old Hee-Haw song says "If it wern't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all"
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Ken, hopefully you did not recieve to much rain? IMO any contractor is pushing his luck by leaving a bare roof overnight. I have a business friend, that had a roofing company leave his entire house bare for an evening. We got 1.5" of rain that night, what a complete disaster! He fought with the roofing companies insurance as well as his own insurance for over 2 years. Could have been very easily avoided.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Jeff, I doubt we got enough rain to do any real damage. It just got my goat that the guy left the roof uncovered. 30 minutes of putting down tar paper would have prevented the problem.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Once these are done, they should last my lifetime and all major repairs are finished for the house.
    Do you really believe that?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I"m sorry Myk....I posted that in one of my optimistic moods. They don't last as long as they used to last.
    Ken

2. Install new water lines to the house.
    That's not something that I hear about being replaced much, what went wrong with the one that is there?
    "It's Not About You."

Art.......my house is 45 years old and the incoming water lines were plumbed with galvanized pipe. My house was the 2nd of 7 built in the neighborhood. Everybody else has had their water lines rust out and had to struggle with the emergency replacment. I am not waiting for mine to go completely. My galvanized irrigation lines have already rusted out. A few years ago, I turned on the waste/drain valve for the irrigation outside faucets. The next morning I had 1" of water in the basement that had seeped in between the concrete walls and floors. The irrigation water is untreated and doesn't enter the residence. So I shut off the irrigation water.

I am having the domestic water lines replaced with copper. It should last my lifetime.

Those two things are costly and since I just retired and currently have the money, I want to take care of them now.
    Ken

Ken, have you considered PEX instead of copper?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Art.......my house is 45 years old and the incoming water lines were plumbed with galvanized pipe. My house was the 2nd of 7 built in the neighborhood. Everybody else has had their water lines rust out and had to struggle with the emergency replacment. I am not waiting for mine to go completely. My galvanized irrigation lines have already rusted out. A few years ago, I turned on the waste/drain valve for the irrigation outside faucets. The next morning I had 1" of water in the basement that had seeped in between the concrete walls and floors. The irrigation water is untreated and doesn't enter the residence. So I shut off the irrigation water.

I am having the domestic water lines replaced with copper. It should last my lifetime.

Those two things are costly and since I just retired and currently have the money, I want to take care of them now.

good luck, you may need it

Ken

Some years ago, I had a house which had galv. pipe from the street. We were selling, and had to replace it as a condition of the sale. The new line was copper, and the water pressure increase was dramatic - we enjoyed that for the month we lived there after the replacement.

You can't go wrong w/ copper, but you might want to consider PEX, as Michael Weber suggested - the cost savings could be considerable.

Jim