Thread: CA glue problem

Question CA glue problem

I am having problems with the curing of my CA glue. I have had it less than 4 months but from the beginning, it just does not want to cure as quickly as it should. When i try to trim the blanks, they come out on the trim bit and regularly adhere to it. The glue that is in the brass tubes comes out wet also. Any suggestions?

Bill, A couple of questions, what thickness of glue are you using? Thick glue can take awhile to cure. Also, how long are you waiting?

Bill,

I also had problems with my CA glue. My problem was that the glue would not set up. I made an inquiry and found that the CA glue will not set up in temperatures of less that 51. Needless to say that I had to wait until it warmed up or had to heat my shop and turn on an evacuation fan to get rid of the pungent oder that the CA glue will give off.

Hope this helped.

Joe Kelly

How about using the accelerator? I use it when I use the CA glue, and the drying is immediate, or at least I think so. I am not a turner, nor a pen guy, so can't comment on that use, but would appreciate the thoughts of others more knowledgable on this issue.
    Alan

CA Glue

To answer some of the questions. This is the heavy CA glue that I am using and I let it dry for several minutes to overnight. I have not used the accelerator but will try that also. I was wondering if I needed to score the inside of the wood blank in order for it to adhere, I am already roughing the brass tube.

The accelerator brings me to another question. I have heard that water lightly misted on the tube will also act as an accelerator. It was on a DIY show that was specifically about pen turning. Water would certainly be cheaper than the bottles of accelerator.

I use the accelerator.

Hi Bill,

I use the medium CA glue for pens and it seems to set up fairly quickly. I have heard the thick stuff can take 20 to 30 minutes to setup without accellerator. from experiance I can glue a finger to a blank in a minute or so with the medium glue.

Roger