Thread: A couple of Rope Knurls

A couple of Rope Knurls

George Wilson posted how to make these in the Neanderthal forum a while back. I finally had an application for some brass knobs so I made a knurl holder, a few knurls and some knobs based on his description. The attached pics demonstrate the process.
    Not pictured here, but I first made some plunge tools for the lathe so I could get the radius of the knurls and the brass knobs to match the 10x32 tap diameter. I used a 3/16 end mill to cut the right radius into a O1 blank, heat treated it and then used that as a tool bit to back cut a male form into another O1 blank, which I also heat treated. I then had matched tool bits (male and female) that I used on the lathe to cut the knurl and the brass knobs to matched 3/32" radii.
    I then made the knurl holder for the lathe and the O1 knurls. I hobbed the knurls with a 10x32 tap in the lathe. This worked great! A nice accurate way to get a fine pitch knurl. I then heat treated and tempered the knurls with my A/O torch.
    I set my lathe tooling up in a square turret (made this 30 years ago). I got a little production run going and could knock out a knob every 13 minutes.
    A fun little project.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

A few more pics. I didn't have room in my square turret for a cut off blade so it was a hack saw job. Next (not pictured) I mounted them on a mandrel, faced and shaped the tops.
    I made a few with a 10x32 tapped holes and 10x32 threaded rods for thumb screws and a few with 3/8x16 tapped holes to be used as knurled nuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Way cool Leigh! I would love to make a knurl like that. I wish I had the heat treating equipment/knowledge!
    Please help support the Creek.

During the middle ages they celebrated the end of the plague with wine and orgies. Does anyone know if there is anything planned when this one ends?

---

Very knice knurls.
    ULS 135 watt w/rotary, Mazak QT-6T CNC lathe, Dapra machining center, Sherline CNC, Tormach CNC, Acad, Rofin welding laser, YAG laser w/ rotary, 4500 watt Fiber laser
    Boone Titanium Rings

Very nice! Thanks for posting pics of the process. I have managed to collect a dozen or so of the old rope knurls, but haven't felt confident enough in my machining skills to attempt making one.

Mel

I have said it before,Leigh: One user of the technique I posted made it worthwhile. Also helps keep the knowledge from dying out. I saw a post where a guy laboriously indexed a knurl to cut each "thread" in the knurl. A needlessly long,involved process,requiring equipment some may not have: a mill and an indexing outfit. With this method,all you need is a lathe. You could saw and file out the slot for the knurl holder without a mill.