Thread: Urn in spalted Silver Maple

Urn in spalted Silver Maple

I roughed the outside shape of this one a couple of years ago and then discovered I had no hollowing skills, so it sat in a box with the rest of the procrastination pieces (it's a BIG box). A few weeks ago my sister, who is deeply involved with animal rescue and always has a house full of critters, called and asked if I could make an urn for her beloved dog. I said I'd give it a shot but would do a practice piece first. This is the practice piece. It's 5.5" wide x 7" tall and will accommodate the ashes of up to a 65 pound animal. Threads courtesy of Lowe's plumbing section. Finish is 5 coats of waterlox, buffed and Ren waxed. Kinda looks like Bart Simpson. Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.
    urn-111-a (Large).jpgurn-111-o (Large).jpgurn-111-n (Large).jpgurn-111-g (Large).jpgurn-111-v (Large).jpg

This a different design than I have seen in other urns and I really like it.

Blog Entries
    I like it as well. Could you be more specific about the 'threads' and what you did for containing the remains? Is it plastic lines?
    Have a Nice Day!

Ted, I think you did a great job and should be proud of the effort. I like the threaded closure and have used that in my fly rod tubes. It works great and is waterproof. Take care, neighbor. Phil
    Philip

Cool idea using a NE top.

I would also like to read more about the threads.

I like it. As Toney said, the NE top is a nice idea. I think your sister will like it too.

Great looking piece. The NE top is really a great idea.

Add me to the list: Wanting to Know More About Those Threads

Thanks for sharing.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    I like it as well. Could you be more specific about the 'threads' and what you did for containing the remains? Is it plastic lines?
    Thanks all for the kind comments.

Just a coat of shellac on the inside. The opening needs to be large enough to insert an empty plastic bag then the ashes are funneled in and the bag sealed...no ash to wood contact. The threads are created using a variety of threaded fittings available at Lowe's or other place with plumbing supplies. The key is to find something that has nice smooth functioning threads, offers some way to hold it in the lathe and has enough wall thickness to support creating a small flange for attachment. Here are the ones I played with (I used the middle one):thread-b (Large).jpg

There are good tutorials on how to do this. I used this one for inspiration, but just use your imagination:
    http://www.woodturningonline.com/Tur...s_for_urns.pdf

Nice work, Ted! The natural edge really adds character to this piece. I have used the plastic/ABS threads a few times, and they work fine. Be aware, however, that some fittings have "tapered threads" and you must use only the initial portion of each female/male unit in order to have get a good closure.

That is a real nice form Ted! Very clever lid idea.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Ted, Beautiful wood and the shape with the NE top is a great look. The plumbing parts for threads is a tried and true method of putting a threaded top on things, when hand threading is not your forte! I have used brass drain tubes for sinks in the same manner, one just has to fit everything and get the parts glued into the proper orientation for aligning grain or any patterns used.

Your sister will be very proud to have it,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Very nice urn. The plumbing part are new to me...I like the idea and will be trying it some day. Thanks for sharing.

Sweet. Great looking form. Very unusual and, as has been mentioned several times now, the NE top adds a lot of visual interest.
    David DeCristoforo

very nice urn...thank your sister for her work, will you? I'm big into rescue also, but it is a never ending job..this urn for her special dog will please her I'm sure.

Really a nice looking Urn. I like the NE top.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.