Thread: LV skew rabbet plane question

LV skew rabbet plane question

I was having trouble cutting a square shoulder with my LV skew rabbet plane, and figured it was more me than the tool. Today, I put a square to it and noticed that the fence is slightly out of square with the sole. This condition causes the outside of the shoulder to be lower than the inside. Has anyone else had this issue? And what did you do to fix it?
    I am thinking about gluing a piece of hardwood to the fence and using the sole as a sort of shooting board to square it up.
    I have tried adjusting the blade to compensate, but that gets a bit fiddly for me.
    On a 1" wide by 1/4" deep shoulder it is quite noticeable, and takes quite a bit of messing around to bring the shoulder into square again.
    If it ain't broke, fix it til it is!

I wouldn't be surprised if Rob Lee chimes in here and tells you to send it in for a fix.

They don't like hearing that their tools are out of square.

I too have trouble cutting a square rabbet, with my LV skew rabbet but am almost certain the problem is me. Applying too much force in any direction makea it easy to throw the rabbet out of square. Of course, proper setup by making sure the edge of the blade is protruding from the side just enough is also essential.

Anyway, like I said the fence itself should not be out of square on such a premium plane. Contact Lee Valley, see what they recommend.

Hi Mark,

Someone should be contacting you shortly..if they can find your email in our system...

If you could shoot it to me at rlee@leevalley.com that would speed things up...

Cheers,

Rob
    (on vacation, with his leg up, waiting for the 1" deep, 2 1/2" long gash to knit sufficiently...and trolling for sympathy...... )

Thanks, Rob! I'll be sending you an e-mail shortly.
    Hope the injury heals well!

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Ouch Rob, that sounds quite painful. You have my sympathy.

Did you lose your grip on one of those new chisels that I keep hoping to see soon?

I hope that you have a speedy recovery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Rob,
    That sounds like a slip slipped... Wishing you a fast recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Manchester View Post
    Ouch Rob, that sounds quite painful. You have my sympathy.

Did you lose your grip on one of those new chisels that I keep hoping to see soon?

I hope that you have a speedy recovery.

Nope...though we have made a few hundred blades already...

Was loading lumber onto a trailer, and impaled my shin on a self tapping screw as I was lifting my leg...so a nice deep vertical tear...

Home Hardware staff were kind enough to patch the hole, and drive me and my car with trailer to the hospital... Now that's great service!

Cheers

Rob

Rob, as long as you have to sit there with your leg up, you should at least have a cold beverage in one hand, and a fishing pole in the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Mark,

Someone should be contacting you shortly..if they can find your email in our system...

If you could shoot it to me at rlee@leevalley.com that would speed things up...

Cheers,

Rob
    (on vacation, with his leg up, waiting for the 1" deep, 2 1/2" long gash to knit sufficiently...and trolling for sympathy...... )
    Didn't your mom teach you not to run with with miniature shoulder planes in you pocket
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Was loading lumber onto a trailer, and impaled my shin on a self tapping screw as I was lifting my leg...so a nice deep vertical tear.

Rob
    yeesh! I've found some interesting ways to hurt myself (makes for cooler scars :0), but that sounds downright painful. My half-missing fingernail, and two gouges in my noggin' don't feel quite as bad now...

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Nope...though we have made a few hundred blades already...

Was loading lumber onto a trailer, and impaled my shin on a self tapping screw as I was lifting my leg...so a nice deep vertical tear...

Home Hardware staff were kind enough to patch the hole, and drive me and my car with trailer to the hospital... Now that's great service!

Cheers

Rob
    Rob:

Perfect use for the specialized bandages you sell!

Get better soon!!!!

Dave Beauchesne

...Was loading lumber onto a trailer, and impaled my shin on a self tapping screw as I was lifting my leg...so a nice deep vertical tear......
    Ouch. You really shouldn't tell me this stuff. I have these visceral reactions to others' hurts. Hope you get better real soon.

Pam

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Rob,

Definitely Ouch! It was indeed kind of the Home Hardware staff to get you and your vehicle to the hospital.

Enjoy the opportunity to rest a bit, perhaps in between the BBQ and the beer cooler ;-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island