Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 3520B won't come on.

Powermatic 3520B won't come on.

I tried to add a double pole switch to my 3520B so I didn't have to keep plugging it in and pulling the plug out at the end of my work session. I didnt' come on when I threw the new switch, that is, the lcd panel on the headstock did not light up. Nothing seemed wrong with the switch, but I took the switch out of the line and it still won't come on. I tried the red reset and the green start buttons on the back to no success. I opened it up and smelled the wiring, but there was no burned smell. thoughts?

Bernie,
    Leave the DP switch out and leave the unit unplugged for a while...maybe 30 min. Then try it. My jet has the same controls and acted up one day. That seem to fix it. I never unplug my lathe. I did add an aux. switch so I didn't have to keep pushing the big red button.

I not trying to high-jack your thread but how can I add a switch to a 220 volt line, do the switch break both lines

Bernie - really dumb question on my part and I am not trying to insult you... but did you remember to turn on the breaker after you wired in the new switch?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming. I left it off for several hours and then retried - still nothing. The line is hot. I tested it with my Sawstop.
    -bernie

If you are going to put a switch on the 220v in you will have to get a switch that will break the connection on both hots at the same time. Or you can get a relay that is triggered by 24V that has the capacity for the amps on the 220V line. This is what I have on my dust collector and I can turn it on or off in 3 different locations in the shop, very easy to do. What kind of double pole switch did you use? You would need a double pole double throw without a center off position to do it correctly. If you have the booklet for the S1 VFD you can wire in a switch that will be ON (UP) OFF (CENTER) REV (DOWN) using the bank of small wires that come out of the VFD. This may be something out of most folks desire to try but the booklet will explain it all, but not sure what it does to the warranty if you goof up some thing.

If you only had one leg of the power off it may have did something bad??? Not sure if 110V only going to the VFD and the switch was turned on how it would react, never tried that one by accident or on purpose.

I know, too much information! Good luck,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

It was a 20A 220V double pole switch that breaks/connects both hot lines at the same time. not sure why that should have been a problem. doesn't seem any different than pulling/plugging into the outlet.

Bernie, I assume you carried the ground wire through to the lathe. And you are just switching the two hot wires.

this post may not be the same subject but pulling a plug or plugging a machine in while the switch is on can burn the prongs on the plug

Doug - yes i carried the ground through on the switch. I now have the switch out of the system completely. I have looked at the plug several times and the ground wire and the two hots seem to have great connections in the plug.

Ray - I never pull the plug unless the lathe switch is in the off position. Pulling the plug only effects the electronics coming on, very similar to the sawstop electronics coming on. That is, no power surge.

It seems to me it has to be something within the electronics package.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Bernie, look at the VFD (on the back of the headstock). See if the display has any codes on it or even looks like it is getting power. You might have to reset it if there was a fault Those buttons stop/reset and run might be disabled.
    Last edited by Larry Komroff; 07-02-2011 at 11:04 PM.

Larry-
    No power appears to be reaching the VFD, so there is nothing lit up, i.e., no code to read.
    -bernie
    PS I am wondering if I am not pressing the red and green buttons correctly.

Bernie, If there is notjing on the VFD, chances are there is no power reaching it. I am not sure how you added a switch. Did you take the plug off and connect the wire to a switch? As far as the buttons on the VFD, I believe they are programmed to be not used. I have attached a troubleshooting flowchart from the VFD manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wood call powermatic's service dept.

Do you not need to power the relay In order to turn the lathe back On?, I'm not much of a plumber, but once you take the power from the lathe, the relay will open...and the lathe needs power back to that relay to send the full power to the lathe