Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally the piercing tips are back out in anger!

Finally the piercing tips are back out in anger!

At last I have got back to doing some piercing its been too long!! I had concerns over this piece as I was making it and to be honest I am still not sure if I like it so I would welcome your input! Please be as critical as you like I have a tough hide!

Elm 140mm x 75mm ish

The Harmony of Bel 1000 smc.jpg

Its called the Harmony of Bel (Bel is a celtic Sun god) it follows on from a piece I did called the fires of Bel.

Thanks for taking a look!
    Ermmm ............ lots of miles from Mr S very many miles

Awesome piece!

The form and the carving work are outstanding, but the grain of this wood is really what sets it apart. If I were to critique anything, it would be the pierced border around the lip. I'm not sure how I would have gone about taking the pattern to the edge, but the dashed line just seems a bit out of place. Still, very beautiful and something to be proud of.

Your talent shows. I really like it.
    David

Richard,
    That is beautiful but I sort of agree with Marty. I think the border around the rim needed to be a little wider. Other than that, it's outstanding.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Richard...you are to be shamed for the lack of pictures on something like this!!!! Glad you fixed the lathe/chuck issue...it shows!!!! My critiques are ...no wood type and no finish details!!! Shame on you!!! But on the plus side...absolutely beautiful!!!
    Last edited by Jim Burr; 07-02-2011 at 5:50 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I really don't know how to critique something like this. You are so far ahead of me in artistic design and execution that I am humbled.
    I turn, therefore I am

Looks fabulous to me! Is that Elm? Great job on all the piercing and your photography really showcases how delicate the piece is!

Glad you are back to turning! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I really like this piece, Richard! Does it rest at that angle naturally or did you create a little flat on the bowl portion? Either way, the little tilt makes the piece for me.

Looks like elm to me also, I am in Montana right now after 12 hrs on the road so it could be koa as tired as my eyes are! It is beautiful and the form with the upturned rim is great! I bought some burs at the AAW symposium so I will be giving it a go one day soon to with the piercing, I will need some practice first!

Awesome,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

I think since you don't like it, you should send it to me, and I'll set it on the mantle and admire it....
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Hello Richard, another beautiful piece! I have really enjoyed your work. I admire your skill, vision, and perseverance! This piece has a high level of technical execution, and the crisp, clean lines really make it stand out. From a form standpoint, I think the bowl is spot on. I may have preferred the rim to have a slightly shallower curve, but the shape you gave it is more "unexpected" which adds to its interest. Also, as always, the piercings are done wonderfully, yet I find that the field of piercings may be a little too homogeneous. Now that I am aware of the celtic significance of the title, maybe a celtic design structure for the piercings could have been used?

But once again, I can't stop returning to your work. I think I've looked at it 5 times now. This piece is captivating and worthy of high praise. Keep up the superb work, it's truly inspiring! Thanks for sharing!

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 07-03-2011 at 2:19 AM.

Richard, first of all, the lighting you used with this pic, combined with the angle at which the piece sits, is just awesome! Really brings out the best of your fine work here. I see the comments on the rim, and perhaps a continuous unbroken dash around the rim, or wider, etc. But, I really think those are all matters of personal taste and take nothing away from a well thought out, and beautifully done work.

Richard this is nice. I like the overall form very well. The way the ring curls up is a nice treatment. I do see a little fluctuation around the rim where the piercing starts. I have found that creating a clean line to stop the piercing is more easily done by masking off the part that you dont want pierced and pierce right up to the tape. That makes for a very clean transition.

Well done and thanks for posting.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Absolutely stunning!

Richard - Incredible work. The wood was a very good choice. I can't imagine having the patients to do the carving....yet.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author