Thread: AAW Instant Gallery Entries

AAW Instant Gallery Entries

Here are my three instant gallery entries from last weekend's AAW symposium in St Paul. The first is my spalted beech bowl that I sold. It is about 7 x 5.5 inches high. Here is the link to my other thread where I talked about selling it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...30797#poststop

The second is a spalted beech bowl that is about 5 x 2.5 inches.

The third is an apple bowl that is one of my wife's favorites. It is about 6 x 4 inches tall and was made from one of our apple trees that fell down.

The Instant Gallery was very large and there was some amazing work in it. A lot of it was much more artsy than I could do. I'm more of an form follows function kind of guy. There were also a lot of folks who have a lot more patience (and time) than I do. This is especially true of some of the segmented guys. Putting several thousand tiny pieces together so you can turn it is amazing.

The symposium was a lot of fun and at the same time very tiring. I hope that I can go to California next year for my second one.

Cheers,
    David

AAW Instant Gallery 2 6-2011-2.jpgAAW Instant Gallery 1 6-2011-1.jpgAAW Instant Gallery 3 6-2011-3.JPG

That's a good looking trio, David! I'm particularly drawn to the middle image... Great curves, great finish, and a nice bit of lift! Keep 'em comin'.

very nice! All of them, I keep changing my mind as to which one I liked best.
    Deane
    Originality is the art of concealing your source.
    Franklin P. Jones
    Comments & criticism on postings welcomed.

Those are all nice looking pieces.

I think it is great that you have been turning only a year but yet took pieces to the AAW for the instant gallery. I would have never thought of doing that with my pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Toney Robertson View Post
    Those are all nice looking pieces. I think it is great that you have been turning only a year but yet took pieces to the AAW for the instant gallery. I would have never thought of doing that with my pieces.
    Yeah...me too. Heck, I wouldn't do it today!!

I like all these pieces, with the middle bowl as my favorite. All nicely done. And it is so cool that you sold one!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I can see why your wife likes the apple one, its beautiful! They are all very nice, but that apple really stands out for me, well done.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

David - congrats again on your sale! I am sure it is just the first of many! While all are nice turnings, I do like the middle bowl a lot as it reminds me of some of the spalted White Birch I have turned!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice trio. I didn't see(or at least remember any other trnings made from beech but I did notice yours)