Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #2 from Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree

#2 from Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree

This Saturday our local club will hold its July meeting, and the owner of the SJPT will be there to give our members a historical synopsis of the trees history. At the last "cut & haul" day I presented Mrs. Donna Miller with the first turning from the tree for her own family keepsakes.

Her friend and great supporter of this endeavor as well, Sylvia Miller [no relation, just same last name] will get the second of the turnings from this tree for all her help so far.

The first was a box/foot and lid, this one is a box as well, and came from a small limb piece. I wanted to give something similar, but not exactly the same. Our club members will be helping to finalize the plans for the wood in the upcoming meeting.

The box is 5.75 inches tall and 4.25 at the widest part [base] only a coat of shellac so far, and I will sand and finish it with WOP today.

IMGP2904.jpgIMGP2898.jpgIMGP2899.jpg

By comparison, I will post this pic of the #1 box..........

IMGP2813.jpg This white oak has a real rustic quality to it, and the owner likes to preserve that quality so nothing real fancy with the turnings...........just letting the wood speak for itself. The tree is estimated to be over 300 years old.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

thanks for the update, nicely done Roger

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    thanks for the update, nicely done Roger
    Thanks Charlie.........I appreciate it!

Nice little box, Roger... I think I like this one even better than the first. I really like the little detail lines to disguise the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Nice little box, Roger... I think I like this one even better than the first. I really like the little detail lines to disguise the joint.
    I like it better as well, David..........the first one was just trying to create visual interest, and well, some folks like a pedestal on a form, and with this rustic wood, maybe not the greatest stylistic choice. Probably a refined vase from cocobolo, claro, or something similar would have worked better.

I have many other things to turn from this, as well as our club members who chose to participate in it, so many things will come of this historic wood.

Roger both those boxes look good. I really do like the design of the second one.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Roger both those boxes look good. I really do like the design of the second one.
    Thank you Bernie..........I appreciate you taking the time to look and post!

man...I'll tell ya, Roger, this project has no choice but to end up very rewarding. I do envy your position in getting to do this. Nice pieces too! I look forward to many many more.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    man...I'll tell ya, Roger, this project has no choice but to end up very rewarding. I do envy your position in getting to do this. Nice pieces too! I look forward to many many more.
    John,

I can honestly say that my own sentiments would like to send some of this to you and some other creekers to turn........I think it would be neat to have a group here do some of these..........however, that would violate the agreement we have and would complicate the authentication process when we get to putting items in the galleries and museums.

We have had many inquiries, and some of them have been of the commercial sort, which I understand, but again that would violate the agreement our club has.

I just want you and the others here to know there is not a desire on my part to exclude ........... if in any way my posting of this project is causing ill feelings, then I would gladly cease from posting........... I just thought that the turning community might like to see what is happening.

John, none of what I just said has anything to do with your post..........I am just thinking about things in general, and so far I have gotten positive feedback from the forum participants............I just do not want anyone's feelings hurt, not my intentions at all...........

I appreciate your encouragement and that of all the others!

Aw heck Roger! I find it hard to believe there would be ill feelings. This is a wonderful project and we all get to see it happening. Ya can't expect to be included in everything on the planet. Sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy the ride!

Rock on Man!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Roger - nice work!

By reading your posts on this, I feel like I am sharing the moment with you and your club! I don't have to turn something to be able to appreciate the history of the wood and the united effort everyone there is making to preserve that same history! Have fun with the project!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Roger - nice work!

By reading your posts on this, I feel like I am sharing the moment with you and your club! I don't have to turn something to be able to appreciate the history of the wood and the united effort everyone there is making to preserve that same history! Have fun with the project!
    As always, Steve...........you are so gracious!

Lookin' good Roger! I have to catch up on some commissioned bowls that are already sold before I can turn any.
    I like the shape of that box quite a bit; it really fits the wood. I can't wait to turn some!

Nice looking box Roger. I really like the shape. It will make a great memento for someone!

15. Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Smith View Post
    Nice looking box Roger. I really like the shape. It will make a great memento for someone!
    Thanks Baxter............I may have to remake this.......I noticed two small cracks yesterday......[I already finished this with WOP] and I put some CA glue to hopefully stabilize.......today another opened up at the bottom rim......a small one on the top as well. YIKES!!!

My first go at turning white oak.......I am thinking I may have to do a DNA soak at least overnight.......it all looked stable the first night with just the shellac on it....I would hate to give this lady a cracked box!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-29-2011 at 4:29 PM.