Thread: Headstock and guitar finally finished

Headstock and guitar finally finished

A few weeks back I did the pocket in ebony and an inlay of abalone for a luthier student friend of mine. This was Rick Fraga's first attempt at making a guitar and my first attempt at designing a headstock with inlay. I cut his template for the headstock out of acrylic and then, as stated engraved the recess in the ebony to receive the inlay and then cut out the inlay out of a material called Ablam. That is a natural abalone / epoxy laminate sheet .050" thick. The pictures don't do justice to the instrument (which is quite beautiful) but you get the idea.
    Guitar headstock.jpgGuitar.jpgGuitar headstock2.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Honey and Coco
    Steve / Sandy Wallace
    Lasting Laser Impressions

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Steve,

I'd say that went well!! It's nice to have friends who will let you hone your skills on their "stuff". I really like working with shell as it almost always comes out nice. A friend of mine insisted I engrave his BRAND NEW boat windshield-I did-he still loves it 12 yrs. later.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Thanks Bruce... Let's just say he got a very discounted price (I didn't do it for free but darn close) and I got some real valuable learning. Anyone thinking of doing this, I will gladly share those learnings with you ( for fee) I meant for free. Just kidding! abalam is not cheap and if I can keep you from ruining a piece, it will make us both happy.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

FaceBook - search Steven Wallace; Epilog mini 18 - 35w, rotary tool, Corel X3, PhotoGrav 3.0

Steve

You nailed it! Your pal has to be thrilled with your work.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Mike... encouragement from the core group here is always special. You guys have been around awhile and have seen the good and not so good. Even in those rare cases the criticism usually comes with a "let's look at went well and how can we make the other better" attitude. Thanks.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

One word-- SWEET!

Thanks Mark... I have to give a lot of credit for my work to the quality of the suggests here on SMC. The guys and gals here really help you learn to do things that allow you to see your potential and work outside your comfort zone. It has made the whole experience a heck of a lot of fun. (except for when you think you have it all set, gone through your checklist and are ready to push the start button) There is some anxiety at that point every time I am working with someone's material. Again, Thanks
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

Get ready Steve. - Next will come the rock bands. I hope you become as famous as Les Paul. Beautiful work.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks Greg. I would love to be able to play like the late Les Paul but would be satisfied to have a few Rocker wanting to personalize their axe.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace

That's a really nice guitar, inlay is proper too. Good job bud!

Thanks, I take no credit for the work on the guitar or its fit and finish. I think Rick did a fantastic job on this considering (his own admission) that he had not done any significant woodworking prior to this project. Former Navy SEAL corpsman, he can do anything he puts his mind to. I am just satisfied with how my work on the inlay turned out. He is extremely happy with it and it got a lot of looks at the luthier school. Maybe I will get calls for more, maybe not. However, it increased my repertoire of items I can say that I can do and have done. CHECK, Take that one off the laser bucket list.
    Steve / Sandy Wallace