Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Chest... Purists may wish to pass!

Tool Chest... Purists may wish to pass!

After viewing a bunch of tool chests here and on other forums, I decided to build one for my hand tools. Its about 70% done - I need to add lifting handles and the sawholders on the lid, rope or chain lid stays, some sliding tills inside and a mobile base...OK its maybe 50% done.
    It was made with 90% power tools in the interest of time...my wife is waiting for a new mud room while I spend time on a tool chest! Don't even ask what she thinks of my efforts.

I built it entirely from scraps - stair stringer plywood cut-offs, pine and poplar laying around the shop. Even the paint is from old projects. I wanted to paint it Benjamin Moore Kennebunkport green with a cream interior, but the blue has been sitting in my garage for years, so waste not, want not. Also, I did not distress it in any way because it will happen soon enough getting bumped into in my shop, and look better then if I were to do it intentionally.
    The black screen door hinges I had left over, as well as the 12" x 12" cork tiles for the bottom. The only things I had to buy on the entire project were the hasp and the Tremont wrought-head nails.

Do you think I should put black iron chest handles on it like the ones from Lee Valley, or make a wood handle like Roy's chest, or a rope handle?

For scale, the wood jointer in the chest is 28" long, and the Keystone Air Master saw leaning against the lid is a 26" plate. The chest is 24" x 34" clear inside, and is made from 1" ply boards beveled and splined together to make larger side panels to look like solid wood boards, with cut nails that are mainly for decorative effect - even though they are truly nailed - as I rabbeted, glued, screwed and plugged the carcass together.

I'll add more pics as it nears completion.

-Pete

p.s. - even though it's made of plywood, I constructed it as though it was solid wood...the front, back, and ends are each panels made up of two 9-1/4" x 36" or 24" 'boards' splined together - thats because they are stair stringers about a foot wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Pedisich; 06-18-2011 at 12:05 AM.

More pics...

And more pics...

notes: the green plane is a Kunz Brillant 300 that some would say is a marginal rough carpentry tool, but I flattened the sole, my first plane rehab, and sharpened the blade and it makes very fine shavings in softwoods. The blue plane is a Record 04R...looks tiny in there! The Disston Air Master has a B-17 in the etch.
    Last edited by Peter Pedisich; 06-17-2011 at 9:40 AM.

Hey Peter, great looking toolbox! Very nicely done.

Yup, works for me. Good use of surplus materials.

Looking at the final product I would not have guessed that is plywood! Looks great!
    Salem

Looks good to me. Price is right on the ply, and it's tough - good for a tool chest. Probably took less time to dimension, too!

If it were me, I would put iron handles on it. The more fixed and solid handles are on something that's heavy, the better the time I have carrying it around.

Do post a close up of the b-17 etch ! I would like to see it for sure. The tool chest looks fine. Multi layer plywood looks good quality. Better than a stack of unused scrap sitting around,for sure.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-17-2011 at 9:24 AM.

Pete,

That is really nice. Mine is very similar and I have been extremely pleased with how convenient it is to have all of your hand tools a step away from the bench. The fun part for you comes next: figuring out how you want to outfit the inside of the box. The big choice is till or sliding trays. I made trays and like them but tills have advantages too.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Do post a close up of the b-17 etch ! I would like to see it for sure. The tool chest looks fine. Multi layer plywood looks good quality. Better than a stack of unused scrap sitting around,for sure.
    George, thanks. I'll post pics of the etch tonight.

Pete

LV CIUH.jpgThis is the Lee Valley handle I was thinking of using.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    Hey Peter, great looking toolbox! Very nicely done.
    Thanks Chris!

I prefer rope handles; easier on the hand and quick to replace as needed.

Adriance nautical chest (I wish my handles looked this good)
    Nautical collection
    Sea chest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    Yup, works for me. Good use of surplus materials.
    thanks Jim, it helped me clean up and make more space in my shop as well...space for a giant toolbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Salem Ganzhorn View Post
    Looking at the final product I would not have guessed that is plywood! Looks great!
    Salem
    Thanks Salem.