Thread: I turned a Bowl

I turned a Bowl

I don't turn many bowls. But my amish neighbor, Henry, (who just loves to haul exotic wood in his buggy and drop it off at my house), came by with a stack of Cyprus glue-ups.

This is that kind of cyprus that has been underwater for 200 years. Anyway, they were building some kind of exotic cabinetry, and these pieces were leftovers. There were 8 of them.

DSC_0024.JPG

He said, "I don't know if you can use this kind of thing but I thought maybe you might want it...If not, just burn it"

So....I didn't burn it. But with working on the computer 14 hours a day solid for the last 14 days....I needed some shop time this afternoon. So I turned a bowl.

It's not much of a bowl...But it's 3" high by 7.5" wide. Sanded to 600...buffed...a light coat of WOP...and buffed again.

The oily nature of this cyprus made it so it really didn't need a finish...but...whatever. It is what it is. And I had a nice break.
    DSC_0019.JPGDSC_0021.JPG
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John i think you need to stay off that puter more often. That's a sharp looking bowl. Now go turn some more and get you a set of them.

Very cool! Don't show it to Henry, he may want it back! All those laminations make for an interesting view, and I'm glad you got a break from the digital screen!
    mj

Yep John I think you need to put the putter in the corner and get into the shop more. That is a beauty. Really a cool looking bowl.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Free wood, great bowl, got to love it!

It's beautiful! Stay off the computer unless you're doing something constructive like kayaking the Creek
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Hart, I really like that cypress!! You need to see if you can get a slab for a platter! Nice work, and I particularly like the beaded celebration of the glue up lines - good touch.

Dude...I need better neighbors! That's a great color and finish without much effort! Good to get out from behind the big box now and again!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Man, you got that thing perfectly round! Great job!

Neat looking wood with a great story... I think Henry has earned a bowl(at least). Plus, if the glue joints fail, it'll be Henry's fault!

Glad you got some turning time in... Looks like it's gonna be scarce leading up to the contest.

Man... wish I had a neighbor like Henry!
    Beautiful wood, and a great bowl from a seldom bowl turner.

Steve

Just 4 miles north and a touch east of Normal
    (check your maps)

That is a great looking bowl. Everything about this bowl is right. The coloration is right on target. I would try to find more of that.

That is a great bowl - good neighbors are hard to come by!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve bellinger View Post
    John i think you need to stay off that puter more often. That's a sharp looking bowl. Now go turn some more and get you a set of them.
    I was thinking about that Steve. A set of 6 maybe.....gifted to Henry. Now all I have to do is scrape a little more time together!!

Quote Originally Posted by MJ
    Very cool! Don't show it to Henry, he may want it back! All those laminations make for an interesting view, and I'm glad you got a break from the digital screen!
    It's funny...every time Henry comes over, he goes through everything I've done as if it is his first time in the shop. He is genuinely interested. If I could get him to rig up a non-electrical lathe...he'd be doing it himself. I'll have to work on that

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham
    It's beautiful! Stay off the computer unless you're doing something constructive like kayaking the Creek
    I don't know about "beautiful", Rick......maybe functional? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...as they say. And my wife has seized it.
    As far as Kayaking the Creek....sheesh...I'd like to do that. Too busy on "in my face" priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller
    Man, you got that thing perfectly round! Great job! Neat looking wood with a great story... I think Henry has earned a bowl(at least). Plus, if the glue joints fail, it'll be Henry's fault! Glad you got some turning time in... Looks like it's gonna be scarce leading up to the contest.
    Yeah...it ain't easy putting a contest together. But hey, in a week or so, I think I'll have some free time. (I hope). But yep..Henry will definitely be the recipient of some his wood.....reconfigured of course!

Thanks for all the nice comments all!

Now, back to the grind.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Great work John, a well turned functional bowl. I see a fair bit of cypress down here as its used for flooring allot, must keep an eye out for some short ends.
    neil

The wooden Potter