Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Poh Bop

All about the top coat

Today was spent spraying on Behlen's stringed instrument lacquer. Love this stuff, though there is a gripe. My schedule today was 3 rounds of spraying (separated by an hour), two thin layers per round - one horizontal application, the other vertical. I intend at least two more sessions to build up the lacquer.

For spraying the large floor tom and big kick drum, I mixed 2 parts lacquer to 1 part thinner, and sprayed with a disposable Preval unit. The Preval was not intended for jobs this big, but I'm doing it anyway, lacking any real spray equipment.

The rattle can formulation (which I'm using on the small rack tom) is a drama queen, there is always something wrong. This time, the nozzle orifice seems to be slightly larger than previous cans, so the lacquer is coming out in bigger drops, which then coagulate like beading water on a freshly waxed car hood, and then tries really hard to drip. Given a cylinder shape slung on its side, of course it would.

And...I'm getting these random, round black bits sprayed onto the drum's surface, like grains of sand. Fortunately, there are very few, and they pop off with no harm done. Still....the other two drum shells don't have this problem, so I know it's coming from the rattle can.

So, it's easy enough to use the spray-only quart can formulation on the rack tom, and avoid any more drama.

Thanks for looking!

10" diameter rack tom

lacquer_rt_2.jpg

18" diameter floor tom

lacquer_kick_2.jpg

14" diameter floor tom

lacquer_ft_2.jpg

Stack o' drum shells.

lacquer_all_2.jpg
    Play drums!

Beautiful work Seth!! Thanks for the update. I enjoy your posts very much!!

Thanks, Ted. I appreciate the kind words!

This project is especially fun, because the kit's owner is a post-college, incredibly talented percussionist who will enjoy pulling every possible note from it. The intentions for it are jazz and bop - the 10" diameter tom is relatively small, and so is the 18" diameter kick. A rock 'n roll kit might have a kick drum of 22" diameter or larger - more spatial volume = more air to move around = mo' bigger, deeper boom. The 14" diameter floor tom is flexible for many types of musical genres, though a rock kit might like a 16" diameter floor tom.
    Play drums!

Wow, has it really been two whole months since an update? Let's get updated.

Not photo documented, I've sanded and polished the shells, and used a 45 degree chamfer bit to form the bearing edges.

An old idea, rediscovered. A story stick. And if they look like Home Depot paint stirring sticks, you are right. Home Depot gives them away as free painting supplies, so I helped myself. Perfect for this project.

The problem is repetitive lay out, and getting the hole spacing dead on perfect, both the distance from the edge of the shell, and the spacing between the lug's feet. Now, I'll choose a slightly over-size bit when I drill (e.g. bore a 7 mm hole for a 1/4" hole specification), but I don't want to take a ruler to the shell 8 times. That's drudge work.

It took a couple of tries, but this template is a dead-on fit.

story_stick1.jpg

Some markings.

story_stick2.jpg

Blue painter's tape provides some protection from the rough stick to the drum shell's polished finish.

story_stick3.jpg

3 of the story sticks I've made so far, lug layout for the rack tom, floor tom and kick drum. There will be more story sticks, though not necessarily show-cased.

story_stick4.jpg
    Last edited by Seth Dolcourt; 11-25-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    Play drums!

Time to drill and assemble the 10" dia x 8" tall rack tom.

Small brag - the joints are so tight, the wood flows from one stave to the next. This is actually a problem, because I can barely, barely pick out the joints. I know, the drum is a cylinder, it doesn't really matter where the lug holes are drilled, but this is a visual decision, not a construction decision. And I want the stave joints to be the drill location.

It look me a long time to get the edge of the blue tape dead-on the joint's line. I double checked using a drum-specific layout mat from a drum supply vendor, checking that the tape's edge landed every 60 degrees. A clever person with a CAD program can make one of these, but I have no CAD program, I'm not that clever, so I bought instead of made.

layout_rack1.jpg

Close up. In this case, I'm shooting for the left edge of the blue tape, on the red line. To verify the other end of the shell, flip it, and align to the right edge of the blue tape.

layout_rack2.jpg

Verified. Ready to drill.

layout_rack3.jpg
    Play drums!

This is my drum drilling station. Yes. It is a stick of 3/4" maple, clamped to my bench. That's it. Just a stick.

I've rounded over the sharp edges with a Microplane file (great tool!), and use a length of blue tape to cover the wood. That will keep the inside of the drum from getting scratched up.

drilling_station_start.jpg

Two spring clamps holds the work. Unseen, I used the story stick to layout the holes, and use a brad point drill bit to dimple the shell. I removed all the blue tape, gave the shell some hand rubbed polishing, and set to drill all the holes.

drill_rack1.jpg

Close up of the first hole.

drill_rack_2.jpg

Verifying the story stick was right. It was dead-on perfect. Rotate the shell, do this 5 more times.

drill_rack_3.jpg

The last hole is 1/2" dia, this is the vent hole for the drum. Notice the drilling swarf is mostly bubinga, but the maple shows me that I've drilled all the way through.

drill_rack_4.jpg
    Play drums!

Time to put some metal on.

assemble_rack_1.jpg

This is an escutcheon for the vent hole. There is great debate on drum forums if a vent is actually needed. The inside of the shell doesn't really need to "breathe" per se. But a vent hole does make a small difference in the timbre of the shell. A couple more holes will make the shell appear to be louder, and the tone opens up. Too many vent holes, and the timbre is rough sounding.

One vent is perfect.

assemble_rack_2.jpg

This is the lug, with plastic washer, and the special lug screws. The screw is a factory made unit with mounted lock washer and fender washer; this one has a 7 mm hex head with a Phillips screwdriver pattern, so two options to drive it. Thread pitch is 4mm x .70 They come in various lengths, depending on the thickness of the shell. These are 14 mm.

The lug length is 4.5"

assemble_rack_3.jpg

It doesn't take much to put on the lug.

assemble_rack_4.jpg

Quick work gets all the lugs in place.

assemble_rack_5.jpg

Sign your work!

assemble_rack_6.jpg
    Last edited by Seth Dolcourt; 11-25-2011 at 11:50 AM.
    Play drums!

Time for the floor tom.

Here is the story stick in action for the lug. The little square on the left lets me butt the story stick to it. I've "programmed" the distance from the shell's edge, and the lug's hole spacing. I use a 1/4" Forstner drill bit into the story stick's hole to dimple the shell at the right spot.

layout_floor_1a.jpg

The drum layout mat is used to locate the 3 places for the floor tom's leg mounts. Not quite 120 degrees apart, because that would conflict with the lugs. So I picked the blue line (which is the pattern for 10 lugs) to off-set the leg mounts. You'll see.

layout_floor_1.jpg

The leg mount story stick in action. Is there a national monument to the awesomeness of story sticks? Well, there ought to be.

layout_floor_2.jpg
    Play drums!

All holes are drilled.

dril_floor_1.jpg

This is the benefit of the drilling station, contoured to the inside diameter, combined with a brad point drill bit. Practically no blow-out on the back side. Yeah, the fender washer covers all sins, but some basic pride-in-craft rules the day. Take the time to drill a good hole.

After all holes are drilled, I twisted a counter sink bit using my fingers alone to clean up the tiny fuzz on the edges of the hole's entry and exit. Tiny detail that the owner won't care about, but I do.

dril_floor_2.jpg
    Play drums!

This is the vent escutcheon.

assemble_floor_1.jpg

Drums get hit, drums vibrate, vibration will shake things loose, especially mechanical connections. I wrap the threads of the escutcheon with plumber's teflon tape, which provides excellent interference. The nut is still removable, no accidental Loc-Tite drips on the wood or metal, and the tape doesn't mess up the plating the way Loc-Tite does.

assemble_floor_2.jpg

Vent and leg mount.

assemble_floor_3.jpg

9" long lugs, as the body of the shell is 12.5" tall. 14" diameter.

You can see the result of picking a different off-set for the leg mounts. They are in-board of a lug, and obviously not interfering with the lugs. Factory made drums have to make these same decisions, too.

assemble_floor_4.jpg

The leg is installed.

assemble_floor_5.jpg

Standing on its own. Yes, it's not level, but no big deal. The legs are adjustable, the drummer will noodle with height and angle to suit his preference.

assemble_floor_6.jpg

Signed my work.

assemble_floor_7.jpg

Detail of the leg mount. The leg is knurled, to provide grip, the leg mount just grips the knurling.

The leg mounts had ready-made rubber gaskets, and that is a nice touch. Glad I didn't have to make the gaskets.

assemble_floor_8.jpg
    Last edited by Seth Dolcourt; 11-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Play drums!

Rack tom and floor tom complete.

Last drum of this project - the kick drum! I'm shooting for a Sunday completion.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Play drums!

I am on fire today. Other than noodling a couple more parts, I am done with the construction. I've called the owner to come pick it up tomorrow, Sat.

Let's get the 18" dia x 14.5" tall kick drum (aka, bass drum) done.

You've seen this before. Story stick programmed with the correct off-set from the edge, and lug spacing (9", center to center). I use a 1/4" Forstner bit to dimple the shell with the hole location.

drill_kick_1.jpg

A bit more of hand rubbed polishing, which is so much easier to do when there are no holes in the shell.

drill_kick_2.jpg

The first two holes are drilled, and a test fit of the lug. Perfect-o. The story stick is a champ.

drill_kick_3.jpg

Wash, rinse repeat another 7 times. The 8 lug locations are now done.

drill_kick_4.jpg

This little bit of joy is a rubber gasket, which represents a drilling pattern that I have to reverse engineer.

drill_kick_5.jpg

A little head scratching, and I have what I need.

drill_kick_6.jpg

My template is now portable, and has the lines I need to locate it accurately. Yeah, you say, but what is that gasket used for? I'll get there...

drill_kick_7.jpg

The template on the drum shell. I used a brad point bit to poke the hole locations at the arrows.

drill_kick_8.jpg
    Play drums!

Time to put the spurs to the shell. Literally.

The shell, drilled, including that gasket pattern.

assemble_kick_1.jpg

Ah. It's an arm-thing, you say. This is actually a spur. The black rubber bulb is threaded over a sharpened point, and by rotating the bulb up the threading, the point is exposed through the bulb. The spur helps the kick drum find traction, because the action of the beater pedal hitting the head will drive the drum forward.

So the bulb provides friction on low pile rugs and flooring, and the sharp point is for good 'ol fashioned digging in to thicker carpeting. Or wrecking a wood floor.

Here, the spur is retracted.

assemble_kick_2.jpg

This shot best shows both spurs deployed. Now it should make total sense.

assemble_kick_3.jpg

A little Sharpie....

assemble_kick_4.jpg

And kick drum waits with its little brothers for tomorrow - Customer Pick Up Day, where I hope to post pictures of a very happy dude collecting his spoils.

assemble_kick_5.jpg
    Play drums!

Yeah. He likes the drums.

Video 1 - http://youtu.be/I7raSJJm1aU Snare is the 12" purple fade.

Video 2 - http://youtu.be/03QwTD-JifU Snare is a 14 x 7.5" bubinga.

He is buying a different snare drum from me, a 14 x 5 western curly maple (not in the videos), so I'm pleased to say he now has a full drum kit from me.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Seth Dolcourt; 11-27-2011 at 12:42 AM.
    Play drums!