Thread: Inlay source(s) neeeded - multiple colors - rock perhaps?

Inlay source(s) neeeded - multiple colors - rock perhaps?

Can anyone recommend a source or two for where I can get some inlay material for my family crest project? I'll be rastering out of walnut and filling in with..... (?)

Obviously needs to be laser cutable... would really like the stone look i.e. onyx for the black. Maybe gold foil for the circles (coins) and silver foil for the mask? So I'm needing a deep navy blue and yellow.

Would that liquid stuff work?

What about tinted abalone veneer?

Very new to inlays, but excited about the possibilities!
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Check with the woodworkers & turners portion on SMC as many use all sorts of
    fills including powdered metals and crushed stone.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

One of the things we use for filling is powder tourquise mixed with epoxy, it looks good and is sandable but I wouldn't try to laser it. Other than that, I use either Silmar 41(polyester resin) or Alumilte (polyurethane resin) mixed with dyes and micas.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

I guess I could just use any wood veneer and paint with the Alumilte or Silmar
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

The Penturners do solid fills all the time - they use powdered anything from stone to coffee to feathers. Check the turner's forum.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

If you are going to use Silmar or Alumilite, they work better when you cast them thicker and then slice them down for inlays. There are some products made to go on thin such as gel coats and they may work better if you are just looking to fill with a liquid. I'm a penturner and make a lot of blanks for others too, the thicker the alumilite, the better it comes out.
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they made a difference in the world, Marines don't have that problem.(R. Reagan)

Epilog Helix 60 watt laser
    Corel Draw X5
    EngraveLab 8

if you're looking to do any metal, chemical etching works well. You can get polyester
    adhesive sheets (blank bumper stickers?) and put that on sheet metal, use the laser
    to get your artwork onto the sheet (and raster that in you wood too.. that way they
    will match) and then weed and put it in the etching bath. Aluminum, copper and brass
    all work well, but you might want to stick to 0.010 or so.