Thread: fun turning in the shop with my oldest-

fun turning in the shop with my oldest-

When we went to San Diego a couple of weeks ago, we visited the design in wood exhibition at the fair. They had some turners there and my boys-but especially my oldest son- was very enthralled when the turners were making tops. He asked if we could make one and of course I said yes!

It's a bit heavy centered, but he did quite a bit of the turning himself (he is 9). In the past he has done pens and a couple of other bits on the lathe. He had his first real catch today (spindle gouge) and it spooked him a bit, but he got right back to it after a little encouragement (and after I told him that I got catches when I first started out too) He is usually very good about riding the bevel but caught an edge when he tried to go uphill...

My youngest didn't want to be out in the hot shop (102 today) so we set up his scalextric set and did some racing... he is 7 and kicked my tail around the track...
    Thanks for looking- and Happy Father's day
    Lawrence

Sounds like a great day! Except for the temps!! I wouldn't want to be out there either.

Looks like fun, I love having the kids in the shop sharing my love of wood working. My son will be wanting some tops soon as our second grandson is due on the 3rd of July and will be his first child so they are very excited for the little guy to get here! We will be taking a 10 day or so trip out to Idaho to see the baby and spend some time goofing off with my son! We won't be in the shop but out looking for gold in the hills and streams, could find a big nugget!

Happy Fathers day,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Well done sir!! Congratulations on a successful Fathers Day!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots