Thread: Happy Father's day to me!! Mini Musturd Monster ???

Happy Father's day to me!! Mini Musturd Monster ???

Over the winter, I built a wooden continues motion treadle lathe. It works fine but I wanted something a little smaller to take to shows. Today, my parents came over for a Father's day breakfast and brought me a little something. They found an old cast iron treadle sewing machine. At least I think it was.

Someone took the top off and put long flower pots on the top. They had it in there yard for years. It was froze up and didn't work. I got out some WD40 and a torch and went to work.

I got all the seized parts loosened and it is working again. I took it all apart and am going to have it sand blasted. My plan is to make a small, bench top sized lathe out of it to do pens, bottle stoppers, and other small items. I do want to paint it to match my powermatic mustard monster.

Does anybody know where I can get the mustard yellow color to closely match?
    WoodChux

Raymond, as a starter idea, check with Randy at Monster. He paints his hollowing rigs to match the primary color. Mine is Jet white or whatever it is. You can also take a small piece of your lathe into a paint store and have it matched with a Spectrometer. I'm sure others will have better ideas.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Sounds like a nice find Raymond, and happy fathers day to all of the Dad's out there!
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Congrats on the new toy! Randy's yellow is not the same as the PM yellow(at least on my Monster rig)... I'd contact Powermatic directly for matching paint.

Rock Creek, Ohio. It's alittle town in the NE part of the state, not far from Lake Erie.
    Most paint stores can match a color if you have a sample to bring in for the computer.

No idea on the paint but am looking forward to seeing photos of the finished build!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, I am super happy about it. My old treadle is cool, but this should be awesome when done. I thought about contacting powermatic. But I was hoping to get locally if possible. I'll try the auto parts store for a match when I get a chance. Thanks again.
    WoodChux

Raymond, I took the cover off the tailstock and took it to the paint store and they matched it perfectly. It is amazing what that computer color analyzer can do! I have an old treadle base up in my attic, I had planned to make something out of it some day. I got it at a thrift sale about 20 years ago and have been hauling it around ever since, just waiting for some inspiration!

Have fun,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks everyone. I received an email from Randy at Monster. They use Rustolium spray paint, caterpillar yellow. Just in case anyone is interested in the info.
    WoodChux