Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: The 1st Annual Great Messy Shop Smack Down!!!!!

I saw Jeff's post last night and had bad dreams all night long. I immediately went up to the shop first thing this morning and cleaned up.

DSCF9518.jpgDSCF9513.jpg

However, by this after noon, it was a mess again. It's going to take about 5 minutes to clean that up!

DSCF9526.jpg
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

That is just revolting, Ed! The trash can with the liner so carefully folded over the edge. Butts in an ashtray instead of crushed out on the floor or better yet left to smolder on the edge of the work bench leaving the distinguishing black char marks. And THE CAP PLACED ON THE GLUE BOTTLE???.

Oh... but wait... are those clamps I see on the floor? Not neatly hung on a rack after being carefully wiped down with a lightly oiled cloth? And the yellow pusher is sitting crooked on the bench, not carefully aligned with the edge. Whew! You had me worried there for a minute...
    David DeCristoforo

Jeff, you think there are some riser blocks for a pm90 in that wonderfully cluttered shop? Like Rick, just asking
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Bell CA View Post
    My shop ranges from clean to this:
    Dang Richard, your shop looks almost as messy as mine, except I only have one lathe to (eventually) clean around. Maybe it's a Bell family trait!

Ok, so I can see I'm going to be shamed into cleaning up the shop (and I didn't even post the pics that I took today of the other side of the shop). After turning a few mesquite bowls since the last pics, the shavings pile is now high enough that it's time to clean it up shame or no shame. When the spindle height on my lathe gets to about hip level, then I'm standing on too much cushion.
    Who knows, I might even break out some steel wool for the lathe bed. A couple of garbage bags to take care of the pile of used sand paper, and it might be nice to actually see some of the surface of the 4' x 8' workbench!
    Who knows, I might even actually post some pics of a cleaner shop, just don't expect anything on the order of a JK or DD clean shop!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Kathy it's your shop, everyone has their own comfort level with stuff like that.

"...just don't expect anything on the order of a JK or DD clean..."

I am hardly in the same class as Mr Keeton when it comes to shop cleanliness! I have reformed to a certain extent but let's not get carried away here!
    David DeCristoforo

Hey gang, this has been a great thread, good for the soul, good for establishing that there are many permeations of a "dirty shop". For us slobs (only speaking for myself) it is very comforting to know that I am not the Lone Ranger when it comes to toiling away in a hovel. Keep the pictures coming. I know they sure make me feel better.

I think it would be a waste of time to have a "1st Annual Clean Shop Smackdown". Mr. Keeton would absolutely "clean" our collective clocks. Anyone who measures how far the broom and dustpan are away from the wall cannot be defeated Besides, from what I can tell, there would be a number of Creekers, again myself included, who would have to curtail productive turning time, in the amount of days only lose to John anyway.
    I turn, therefore I am

I can't believe that I missed the contest!! Finally something I would feel comfortable entering. sheesh.

I was so busy last week, I barely had time for foruming. Maybe I can go take some pics and get in as a late entry? Please?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I try as hard as I can to help with Jeff's de-cluttering every time I go over to his shop, but it is just to daunting of a task for one person, and besides my garage/shop is getting full. Thanks, Jeff.
    Mike Svoma

"There is nothing sexier than a woman in camoflage"

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    I can't believe that I missed the contest!! Finally something I would feel comfortable entering. sheesh.

I was so busy last week, I barely had time for foruming. Maybe I can go take some pics and get in as a late entry? Please?
    John, I see no reason not to post a picture of your shop if you think you have a prayer of taking the lead. Your shop must be a nightmare if you think you will be in the running.
    I turn, therefore I am

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Wilson View Post
    John, I see no reason not to post a picture of your shop if you think you have a prayer of taking the lead. Your shop must be a nightmare if you think you will be in the running.
    Oh...no....not at all, Dick. I have no delusions that my shop...regardless of how awful I keep it....could never take the lead in such an awesome display of chaotic spendor. I just felt that this is the first environment where I could feel comfortable displaying pictures of my pig sty.
    ~john

"...this is the first environment where I could feel comfortable displaying pictures of my pig sty..."

Bring em' on John! We have become fascinated, in a perverse sort of way, with graphic images of domestic disaster areas. Feed the beast...
    David DeCristoforo

14. It is so good to be able, to have a good laugh, in the evening, this thread is so funny.

Ok...I'm in!!!
    'Course...when I went out there, I realized that I cleaned up a bit a couple months ago, so things weren't exactly "contest caliber"

However...I do want to make my showing. So it is what it is

This is my ever-growing pile of exotic wood. A weekly gift from my neighbor Henry
    He loads up the buggy and hauls it over....then we chat about nothing for an hour or so. It's nice.
    shop5-1.JPG

This used to be more embarrassing. And it will be again, I'm sure
    shop10-1.jpg

This is where I work most often
    shop6-1.JPG

Lathe area.....Spotless. Sorry.
    shop8-1.jpg

Resin Project Table - I'll clean this up before summer is over.
    shop11-1.JPG
    ~john