Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The 1st Annual Great Messy Shop Smack Down!!!!!

I must clarify a point here. Gender is not an issue. Ms Marshall's entry is a front runner only by virtue of the quality (or lack thereof) of her environment which could easily qualify as a "superfund" site. It's not just the overall mess which many can easily accomplish. It's the attention to detail... the electrical extension snaking through the heaps of shavings, the business end of what is apparently a hollowing tool of some sort, poking out of the heap of crud behind the lathe, the accumulated splatter of finishing material on the wall, the rust and corrosion on the machine itself. These are the things that separate the truly squalid from run of the mill disorder. Kathy's workspace transcends "messy" as does Mr. Redwine's. This is what we are looking for here. Anyone can accumulate a pile of shavings and leave a few tools laying around. We are looking for the authentic pathological disposophobic.
    David DeCristoforo

Hi Kathy, I hate to say it but I think you have outdone Richard. Would you agree o' wise one Mr. David. My o my, I certainly hope you can find what you are looking for. I would be lost. What happened The vortex must not only attack people into thinking they need to buy, buy, buy, but it also must attack shops as well
    I turn, therefore I am

I'm consumed with JOY! I must express my gratitude to those of you whose depth of squalor is measured by the yard--nay, the rod! SWMBO has a perceptual reset comming! I shall no longer admit to a messy shop, complete with shavings that lay about for a week or two...for which I am routinely berated--but will go forth, loudly proclaiming fastidiousness. With such prolific photographic evidence as that provided here, I shall boldly claim a "white-glove" environment, no longer to endure withering looks, incessant whining, and demands that I vacuum up after a few wisps of tinder hit the carpet of the living room floor. Heck, I can now, without shame, class myself with Keeton, and not even blush. Moral relativity is sometimes a beautiful thing! Where do I donate to the broom and dustpan award?

On behalf of many here who have been greatly blessed,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

4. concerned!

After having viewed all the pics from different turners so far..............the very issue that makes me try to avoid this situation in the first place, comes so vividly to mind...........

Is anyone here, besides me concerned about fire? Sparks off a grinder, or a myriad of other causes, and this kind of thing just makes a total loss of one's shop almost a certainty.

I am not at all trying to be critical..........but having experienced the devastation of a house fire when I was young, that has always informed my cautionary propensities about keeping the dust and shavings at least somewhat under control in the wood shop. I was also injured [3rd degree burns] on my right hand as a youngster, so now you may understand my thinking as well.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-20-2011 at 4:11 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    After having viewed all the pics from different turners so far..............the very issue that makes me try to avoid this situation in the first place, comes so vividly to mind...........

I anyone here, besides me concerned about fire? Sparks off a grinder, or a myriad of other causes, and this kind of thing just makes a total loss of one's shop almost a certainty.

I am not at all trying to be critical..........but having experienced the devastation of a house fire when I was young, that has always informed my cautionary propensities about keeping the dust and shavings at least somewhat under control in the wood shop. I was also injured [3rd degree burns] on my right hand as a youngster, so now you may understand my thinking as well.
    Roger,
    For all the reasons you mentioned plus the loss of small tools, large tools and even missing animals and small children....for all these reasons, some need to follow the heed of John.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

"...anyone here...concerned about fire..."

The potential for spontaneous combustion and/or conflagration is one of the basic qualifying requirements.
    David DeCristoforo

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Morgano View Post
    Roger,
    For all the reasons you mentioned plus the loss of small tools, large tools and even missing animals and small children....for all these reasons, some need to follow the heed of John.
    Ed,

I am not in any way trying to pour cold water on anybody's parade, and this is a really fun thread [Thanks Dick, for starting it] but allowing a continual build up of shavings,and just leaving them for extended periods is asking for trouble...........I just want everyone safe, although that is their responsibility and business...........however, because things do at times happen, safety is the name of the game.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I must admit that I've been impressed with the shops I've seen thus far. While I'm nowhere near as tidy as JK seems to be, I'm far closer to Keeton than say, Oh I don't know... Marshall. WOW! I find it interesting that Kathy's wood pile seems to be fairly organized. This is a pretty funny thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Coons View Post
    I'm consumed with JOY! I must express my gratitude to those of you whose depth of squalor is measured by the yard--nay, the rod! SWMBO has a perceptual reset comming! I shall no longer admit to a messy shop, complete with shavings that lay about for a week or two...for which I am routinely berated--but will go forth, loudly proclaiming fastidiousness. With such prolific photographic evidence as that provided here, I shall boldly claim a "white-glove" environment, no longer to endure withering looks, incessant whining, and demands that I vacuum up after a few wisps of tinder hit the carpet of the living room floor. Heck, I can now, without shame, class myself with Keeton, and not even blush. Moral relativity is sometimes a beautiful thing! Where do I donate to the broom and dustpan award?

On behalf of many here who have been greatly blessed,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

Here! Here! Redemption does feel good doesn't it! SWAMBO will be viewing this soon... "See... I am ultra organized dear!" Scoot over John and pass the popcorn!

Great show Kathy! When you fall into the vortex you go for a cannonball off the highest platform! I'll give you a 9.95!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Roger:

Can't speak for the others, but in my case I rough turn virtually everything green, which was the case for the photos I showed. These shavings are heavy and wet, and are removed long before they dry (rust is a bigger concern). Finish/dry turning involves significantly fewer, but finer shavings, which I pick up more frequently. As for grinding sparks, my sharpening station is about 15 feet from the lathe. Yes, it involves more walking, but it keeps the sparks away from the turning area and gives me a moment to contemplate my next action.

Richard

I am a notorious slob, the work area in my shop is always a mess and I haven't uncrated my lathe yet. I'm doomed I tell you.....doomed!

This thread must be stickyfied. I'll have to use it as exhibits for the defense the next time my wife crosses her arms and gives me "that look of disgust".

The potential for spontaneous combustion and/or conflagration is one of the basic qualifying requirements.
    Hey Mods,
    Is DD talking dirty??? What the heck is this "conflagration" stuff. It has to be a California thing.
    faust

"Is DD talking dirty??? What the heck is this "conflagration" stuff..."

Conflagration: An uncontrolled burning that threatens human life, health, property or ecology.

conflagration [ˌkɒnfləˈgreɪʃən]
    n
    a large destructive fire
    [from Latin conflagrātiō, from conflagrāre to be burnt up, from com- (intensive) + flagrāre to burn; related to Latin fulgur lightning]
    David DeCristoforo

All of you are absolute fire hazards. Yikes!!!!!!
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Kathy-I think you have outdone all of them. Very cool mess!

And I dig your license plate.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!