Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3 31 "new design"

Hi, sounds like an interlock switch issue.

The top contactor is the run contactor, the bottom contactor is the start contactor.

If all the interlock switches are closed (in correct position) when you push and hold the start button the top contactor will latch on, powering the run winding of the motor.

A second contact in the push button closes the start contactor, powering the start winding in the motor.

Once you release the push button the run contactor stays latched, the start contactor drops out, de-energising the motor start winding.

I would check the safety lockout switches for the jointer bed and dust hood, as well as the locking e-stop button.................Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, sounds like an interlock switch issue.

The top contactor is the run contactor, the bottom contactor is the start contactor.

If all the interlock switches are closed (in correct position) when you push and hold the start button the top contactor will latch on, powering the run winding of the motor.

A second contact in the push button closes the start contactor, powering the start winding in the motor.

Once you release the push button the run contactor stays latched, the start contactor drops out, de-energising the motor start winding.

I would check the safety lockout switches for the jointer bed and dust hood, as well as the locking e-stop button.................Rod.
    Thank you, for the very informative reply.

Blog Entries
    Rod, your the best!

Stay tuned. I fired mine up for a project for my son. Got some bad results in the planer mode. Lots of chatter and then "locking" of pieces ....not feeding. This was on an 18"long 2.25 thick piece.

I had to stop for a family gathering. I will report later.
    Last edited by Bob Landel; 07-10-2011 at 4:39 PM.

Hi Bob, on my A3 the feed problems are always caused by the operator.

Once he gets out the paste wax and waxes the planer table, the feed problem is resolved.....LOL.

Of course if you watch the Felder videos, you'll know that Sep (SP?) always lubricates his planer with SuperGleit.....Us mere mortals use paste wax.........Regards, Rod

Embarrassing update:

I called Felder today and talked with Mike in their service department. After hearing my story he was sure the machine was not getting the 230v it needs. He ran through a variety of causes (bad wiring, failed switch, ect.) then asked me to dust off my fluke mm and get some readings. After about 1 min I had realized only one of the supply legs was hot, I had incorrectly wired the plug end of the supply. After correcting my mistake I rechecked the readings and everything looked good. I walked up to the machine took a deep breath and hit the green button... the cutter head was at full speed in 1-2seconds. I plan to start a new thread with my review in 2-3 weeks if any body is interested. Thanks.

Great news, yes we would like to hear about your new machine once you've had some time to try it out.........Regards, Rod.

Yes please Bradley. My "new design" 2011 A3 31 will be arriving in a few weeks I'm told, so it's too late for me to change my mind now, but anything that I can gain from your experience would be useful. Maybe you could post on this thread to let us know when you start your new review post so that those of us that have subscribed to this one, get notified that it's posted. Thanks, Martin.

Me too...Mine is due in mid September, and I'm itching for any more information and pictures to keep me from going nuts in the meantime ;-)

Blog Entries
    Just noticed my reply above is out of place. I posted it three days ago!

Rod Sheridan, I waxed up and all seems okay in the planer mode.... at the least .... better. I need to keep the cast iron surfaces well maintained. I didn't realize what non use and a little time does to a iron surface.

Thanks Rod.

You're welcome Bob, I often have the same problem, don't use for a month or two, then it needs waxing...........Rod.

11. Does anyone know what the differences are between the "new" A3-31 and the older design ?

I ask because I paid for my A3-31 last year, it was ready for probably 9 or 10 months ago, and I am only now ready to take delivery. My dealer told me I could probably get the new or old design, and that he would prefer the old design if only because he is always worried about problems with new designs.

So I am wondering if I should go with the new design or stay with the tried-and-true.

thanks !

From what I've been told, the fence has been improved by adding a center support and it is now positioned more towards the outfeed table (more centered) than it was in the previous model. It now has dual lifting tables as opposed to the old separate tables, it has an improved lock on the planer lift and the jointer height adjustment control has been improved. There may be more differences that I'm not aware of and hopefully someone who actually has the machine can chime in.

BUT, according to my dealer the castings on both the planer and jointer tables are lighter on the new model. The Canadian Hammer site still has the video of the old model, while the US site has the video of the new model. I opened both videos at the same time and went back and forth and compared the two, and I would say that my dealer is correct and the castings are substantially lighter on the new model, although I don't know how or if that will affect the performance of the machine.

AND, if you live in Canada, be forwarned that the new model is not approved by CSA (UL equivalent) yet. I found that out the hard way. I too had ordered the old model and had already paid my non-refundable deposit when I stumbled on a woodworking thread that informed me that a new model would be available very soon, and that it had improvements to the fence, which was the only thing that bothered me about the old model. So I contacted my dealer and changed my order to the new model. My check for the balance for the machine and accessories was cashed on July 19th.

On July 27th I was advised by the BC dealer that my new A3 31 would be arriving in Winnipeg Manitoba the next day, and that as soon as it was CSA inspected and approved, it would be on its way to my shop in BC. On August 8th, I was advised that the machine had failed the CSA inspection and that the factory was in the process of sourcing CSA approved switches.

So that was a month ago now, and the dealer can't even offer a guess as to when I will be receiving my machine. He says that finding and replacing the switch shouldn't be a big deal, but he has no idea when the next CSA inspection will happen. I'm not impressed to say the least.

A few used A3-31 units have popped up around my area in the last several months and I was interested in hearing from those who own the "newer" redesigned units with the new fence and the dual lifting system. Though the dual lifting system seems to improve the overall footprint a little which is important to someone like myself with a small "shop", I'm wondering how much these two improvements would be worth to those of you who have experience with it. The newer fence system seems the more worthwhile improvement of the two.

I'm trying to decide between a new and one of these older used units so would appreciate any insight that you might be able to provide! Some of these are listed between 20-40% off current newer list prices for a point of reference all with low board feet milled.

Why have "a few" of those machines become available? Is there a problem with them? Most likely not, but inquiring minds would like to know.

It's an interesting looking machine, but it appears to weigh about as much as my Unisaw. I was just wondering how such a machine would get into my basement shop. I'd have to have a *very* good reason to even consider replacing my aircraft carrier (Delta DJ-20). Is it possible to disassemble much of the machine in order to move it?

John - I don't think there is anything inherently wrong or bad about the older style units. Several folks here have them and I've only read good reports to the most part. From my discussions, folks selling them have more to do with personal issues or basically the bad economy forcing a sale.

It is possible to remove the tables but generally not recommended. Though heavy, the overall footprint is still fairly small - just a bit bigger than most 6-8inch jointers so for someone like myself where space is at a premium, it is a worthwhile purchase. There is another thread discussing methods of moving this unit into a basement shop and which others here have also done.