Thread: Lasering Sterling Sliver

Lasering Sterling Sliver

Looked at a couple of "old" posts from people asking the question; but nothing really current - so does / will Cermark laser okay on Sterling and other precious metals or is that best left to diamond drag / rotary style engraving?
    Terry L. Swift
    Universal M-300 / (upgraded) to 50 Watt
    CorelDraw X4 & X6 / Photograv / Photoshop CS, etc.
    Ricoh SG3110DN Dye Sub 8.5" x 14" Printer / Stahl Maxx 16" x 20" Heat Press

Cermark does not do well on these types of metals. Looks great till you wipe it off and then it's gone! These types of metals dissipate the heat necessary for the cermark to "bond". I also have never had consistent results on chrome, brass, aluminum or copper, not to say I haven't tried.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I have stopped trying to do aluminum and brass with Cermark and wouldn't even consider sterling silver. I might try silver plate but am skeptical of that.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

A few years back I attempted a sterling silver bracelet, But as Bruce mentioned looks good but wipes off.
    Soooo, I slowed down the speed ... it reflected back onto the window and left a nasty scar, I did not change the window as it is not too deep and it is a good reminder that the laser is NOT an end all, do all tool ... somethings just need to be treated differantly
    Mike
    Windows 10, Corel_Draw X8, Aspire 9.5
    More woodworking toys than I have time to play with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I have stopped trying to do aluminum and brass with Cermark and wouldn't even consider sterling silver. I might try silver plate but am skeptical of that.
    Tried it. It didn't work! Half of the cermark stuck and the other half just rubbed away. The problem with the plate that I ran into was it tarnished everywhere the cermark was. Thankfully the product was inexpensive when we replaced it!
    Epilog 35 watt, Rotary Attachment, Corel X-3