Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Word to the Wise

A Word to the Wise

FYI........unlike men, who cherish all manner of electrical devices, especially if they're tool related, I've been advised in quite positive terms by SWMBO that there is absolutely nothing which has a cord that can be called a gift. Further, this view is supported by her (our) married daughters.

In plainer English--if it has a cord it ain't a gift!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike...what was her tone of voice, volume and facial expression when she made this announcement? What was she doing at the time or what had she been doing just prior to making this announcement?

PS...we have a spare bedroom if you need it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    The bigger question is what were you going to get her?

I remember getting something for my first wife years ago, don't remember exactly what it was, but I do remember that she was not too pleased.
    Chalk it to one of life's little lessons.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I could so get myself banned from SMC right now, and it would almost be worth it...

Hey guys.....I think John's trying to imply something about us....

BTW Mike.....I brought this up with my wife a minute ago while eating breakfast. She said it depends on with whom you are dealing. She made it a point that she doesn't like jewelry or fancy clothes......and things with cords are fine with her.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-12-2011 at 2:16 PM.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    FYI........unlike men, who cherish all manner of electrical devices, especially if they're tool related, I've been advised in quite positive terms by SWMBO that there is absolutely nothing which has a cord that can be called a gift. Further, this view is supported by her (our) married daughters.

In plainer English--if it has a cord it ain't a gift!
    Gee, I am glad the women in my family are more understanding.

The daughters were happy the year I gave them all computers for Christmas.

My wife was very happy and thankful when all new washer, dryer, dishwasher, refrigerator, freezer and wide screen TV came to our home.

I can understand that a vacuum cleaner, can opener, waffle iron or coffee maker might not be met with the same kind of enthusiasm.

My wife is not my mother, but she is the mother of our children. She likes a card on Mother's day. She also likes wood burls or special cuts of wood. So when I was buying a load of ash I also got a couple of nice slices of wood for art work. I used wide masking tape to make some hinges and pasted notes on the inside and outside saying happy Mother's day. I also included an apology for not being able to find an envelope. She loved it and even told the kids when they called about the not being able to find an envelope.

Women like big things especially when they are small… Like diamonds, rubies and pearls.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My wife doesn't care for jewelry, but she does like power tools for the kitchen! For me, I would rather pick them out myself.

John

Some of you guys are pretty lucky. It's not that my wife doesn't like things with cords; she just doesn't think they're appropriate gifts. She is also ready to get rid of the KitchenAid mixer and she doesn't use the food processor any more. I'm going to guard the coffee pot though.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Mike,

There in lies the difference. My wife just got a new food processor....she has 4 to my knowledge......a bread machine.....2 vacumn cleaners......
    Ken

The mistake all of us make is reading something that works with someone else's wife, and then attempting to turn around and apply it to our own wives.

Bad idea!!!

It doesn't even work to try to transpose from MIL to wife.

Here is one of my less-than-brilliant moves:

Noticing that slots for pliers, screwdrivers, etc. would occasionally empty themselves while I was out of the shop, I got the clever idea to get SWMBO - as just one of her presents that Christmas - a small plastic box from the hardware store, and put in it brand new set of Craftsman screwdrivers, pliers, dikes, tape measure, small hammer, small crescent wrench - that type of stuff - for the kitchen.

Whoa, Buddy..........SOMEONE lost their sense of humor. But, in the end, it was "message received". None of those slots ever turned up empty again, and other, more specialized things that do get borrowed from time-to-time always immediately return home.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I could so get myself banned from SMC right now, and it would almost be worth it...
    Yea...being a "family oriented" forum, some of the exceptions to the rule shaln't be mentioned...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I lived with my second wife for just over 25 years and I was never able to give her a gift that she liked. I never gave up trying until I left and moved to Michigan leaving her in California with all of the gifts that I bought her over the years. My leaving may have been the one gift that she liked but she sure seemed angry about it and still is ten years later.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Here is one of my less-than-brilliant moves:

Noticing that slots for pliers, screwdrivers, etc. would occasionally empty themselves while I was out of the shop, I got the clever idea to get SWMBO - as just one of her presents that Christmas - a small plastic box from the hardware store, and put in it brand new set of Craftsman screwdrivers, pliers, dikes, tape measure, small hammer, small crescent wrench - that type of stuff - for the kitchen.

Whoa, Buddy..........SOMEONE lost their sense of humor. But, in the end, it was "message received". None of those slots ever turned up empty again, and other, more specialized things that do get borrowed from time-to-time always immediately return home.
    Hah, I have the opposite problem. I tend to have a bad habit of "borrowing" tupperware or bowls (not the nice ones!! lesson learned!!) and using them in the shop for various potions and mixtures (many of which are NOT conducive to said article returning to its original purpose). Not a popular move let me tell you Maybe I need to just go get my own.

Then cut the cord off it and give it to her... problem solved.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!