Thread: "over temperature" error?

Question "over temperature" error?

i own a versalaser 25 watt . today i was trying to engrave an aluminum dog tag and i got an "over temperature" error. it scared me so much. what does this mean exactly? i am worried my laser is broken

I have to say I have never heard of that before but it is probably a safety feature of versalaser. If you are worried your laser is broken, try engraving something with it, if it doesn't work and you get the same message then it is likely you have tripped a safety switch. If it does work then you laser is fine. All metals will generate heat when they are being engraved, the slower your speed the more heat, the heat coming off the dog tag may have activated a heat sensor, but something such as "over temperature" sounds more like a warning indicator. Simple way is to do a test run, I would imagine your machine has not been damaged.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

I am not familiar with that warning but I'm inclined to think that your machine was not properly vented or cooled rather than being caused by what you werre engraving.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 06-12-2011 at 12:10 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Make sure your fan vents are clear of dust...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Is this over-temperature error an audible warning, or was it a message from the driver? Did the laser system shut down on its own? ULS has some kind of over-temperature sensor on some machines but it is intended for fire protection, and does not monitor the electronics for overheating. If fire-prevention alarm tripped, then it is possible that something about what you were doing made the sensor think there was a high ambient temperature in the work zone. I don't know the technology used on these sensors - there are some types of optical sensors that might in some cases be fooled that there is a fire when there is not. You need to check the manual to see exactly what this alarm meant. Very likely it was a false alarm and your laser is fine.

Nadia,

Change the 9 volt battery! The sensor is controlled by this battery and will give you an error if the battery is low.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

I love it when it's a simple fix! Thanks for the education, Mike
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Thank you Mike. Hadn't heard of that before.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

It's a battery for the sensor that detects heat inside the cabinet and sounds an alarm if it gets too hot inside the cabinet (fire).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.