Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterfall with bubbles bubinga?

Waterfall with bubbles bubinga?

I am not sure what kind of wood this is, but this cockpit table that I made is most likely my favorite piece, just based on the wood. Curly maple edges, spanish cedar column, teak and holly base and the top I like to call waterfall with bubbles , just based on appearance. Do we think this is Bubinga?cockpit table.jpgtop 2.jpgtable top.jpg

It doesn't seem red enough to be to be Bubinga , maybe some deep birds eye Cherry?? What finish is on it , gloss poly? Lacquer?

Sure is a nice table / nice pieces of wood!! Nice job!

It is way too heavy and dense to be cherry. It has 5 coats general finishes wipe on poly and 1 coat finishing wax.

My guess is you have "waterfall bubinga".

Sure is a pretty table but I have to agree with Paul here that I don't think it is bubinga. Did it have any sap wood? If so, what did it look like? When I first saw it I was thinking some sort of mahogony but you then said it was pretty dense. But I am not very good at wood ID so ...
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

Oh darn - and I thought this was a post about a lady of less than stellar reputation. :-)

it looks like quilted/pomelle sapele to me

If it's really hard and heavy, it's not likely to be SA mahogany or Sapele/african mahogany. Bubinga is the most likely choice if you purchased it in the last 3 years. There was a flood of it on the market - just about everyone had huge "waterfall" bubinga slabs for sale, including, of all places, Rockler.

This strongly suggests someone in Africa clear-cut a really ancient forest, and flooded the market with once-in-a-lifetime boards. Kind of sad, if you think about it. But I rather doubt the opportunity to acquire boards like that will be repeated.

SWAG - I think it's ELM.

Without looking at the endgrain, you may well be right about Bubinga:
    Slideshow

I purchased it and a lot of other hardwoods at an Auction about 2 years ago.
    It was one of about 75 pieces of sample boards . All different species and sizes.
    Some labeled some not.

That was exactly what i was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bowman View Post
    it looks like quilted/pomelle sapele to me
    If you don't have time to do it right the first time, then when are you going to find the time to do it right the second time?

Looks like makore to me....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Avery View Post
    Looks like makore to me....
    The color looks right for that. William, if you had any sort of allergic/sneezing/swelling reaction to the dust, it might be makore (aka "African cherry")

You're right about the bubinga slabs popping up... our local woodcraft has had one on display/for sale for awhile. The last time I was in there, they had a note posted on it that the country of Gabon has started restricting the export of bubinga. They stated that this was possibly the last bubinga that they'd be able to source...

Andy