Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remembering to de-tension your bandsaw Blade

I never detension mine anymore. It has never seemed to make a difference on my tires.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

This subject is one of the most debated/argued subjects here at SMC.

I detension mine. While constant tension may not damage the springs, I believe it does cause the rubber tires to become compressed in a small area and lead to premature wear and tracking problems.

So I detension saw but as David Weaver pointed out, I may go for several months without using my bandsaw but I should be using it later this week.

Frankly, I don't see the big argument against detensioning it. I can retension mine, check it's tracking and be using it in less than 60 seconds. If I'm in the middle of a project where I may be needing my bandsaw again, I will leave it tensioned.

Of course, I don't have a crown on my tires....as they are flat.

Flat vs crowned tires......and I don't glue my tires either....... next battles......

There is no right or wrong answer IMHO
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-13-2011 at 9:22 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Flat spots on tires probably also depends upon the quality of the tire material. I use 1/4" blades on my 1964(purchased used) Delta 14",and never have had a problem with flat spots or grooves in the tires. I think there are too many variables in springs,materials,etc. to give a definitive answer. I just don't want my wife,who doesn't mix with machines well,to start up my slacked off bandsaw and make a mess out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    There is no right or wrong answer IMHO
    And I don't happen to think it's any more complicated than that.

At the gym (no, I don't go, but I HAVE gone ), there's an unwritten rule: don't correct another person's technique, unless you KNOW it's going to cause them HARM.

I don't care if you de-tension your band saw blade or not. I may voice my opinion, but ... to state it as if it Came Down From The Mountain -- one way or the other -- to me ... well ... I dunno. I don't see the point in it.

My wife doesn't use power tools so that's not a problem.

George, I am using an Italian made bandsaw and I hope the quality of material is good as I paid for good quality.

One of the biggest problems people have with getting a bandsaw to function correctly deals with proper tensioning of a blade. Too loose well, it'll drift and cut curved surfaces. Too tight?....probably just compress the tires too much and put too much pressure on the smaller parts in the tensioning portion of the machine. I doubt you will see a difference in cut with too much blade tension if all other variables remaining constant. My point is that detensioning takes the pressure of those smaller parts that are in fact, high failure items in bandsaws. I just fail to see how detensioning a bandsaw creates any problems.

But...in the end....I think it's making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I don't think there is a right answer or a wrong answer. Do what's right for you.

I can assure you I will do what I want in my shop.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tomato/tomato (that doesn't come out right when you write it). My name is Zahid and I am a detensioner
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    This subject is one of the most debated/argued subjects here at SMC.
    SawStop... 'nuff said

Car springs go through tension/detension quite a bit (especially with the way I drive). Different alloy, but you get the idea... there's more to this story than any one thing.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Zahid Naqvi View Post
    Tomato/tomato (that doesn't come out right when you write it).
    LOL ! Yet ... I got it, immediately

My name is Zahid and I am a detensioner
    Realizing it ... IS the first step

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    This thread just reminded me that I forgot to detension my bandsaw this weekend.
    Yep, me too. Just reading the thread to determine if I need to worry or not. Don't worry wins out. If i don't forget, I'll detension tonight when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Harrison View Post
    All these beliefs are simply, Urban Myths.

...And the springs on your car, they're compressed 24/7?

...And the tires on the car?

...ever hear anyone complain about it?

Believe me, I'm not singling you out here, but these statements / claims always come up, and there is no basis in fact to substantiate them.
    Broke a spring on my car once, see....

I was told that if you let a car sit that it is possible to cause problems with the tires. May not be a problem with newer tires. My car never sits long enough for me to worry about it.

Just to bring all of this back around to bandsaws, ever see that Mother Earth News project for the bandsaw that used old VW rims and tires for the bandsaw wheels and tires?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Broke a spring on my car once, see....

I was told that if you let a car sit that it is possible to cause problems with the tires. May not be a problem with newer tires. My car never sits long enough for me to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    Just to bring all of this back around to bandsaws, ever see that Mother Earth News project for the bandsaw that used old VW rims and tires for the bandsaw wheels and tires?
    Somehow ... I'd still predict you'd wind up with an electrical fire on your hands

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    I didn't see that but I've seen a web video of a homemade backwoods sawmill where the blade structure was stationary and the log moved. Automobile tires and wheels, small V8 with manual transmission for drive train. Crude but it looked like it worked pretty well.

My name is Paul and I am not a detensioner.

I honestly think the detensioning levers are more a gimic than any thing. 1st company A did it then companey B felt they needed to. At 1st I bought into the dentensioning myth and tried to remember to do it. Ya right like that was going to happen. And when I did remember to flip the lever. I F'd up a couple of blades because I forgot to retension then. So now I just dont do it and have had no problems with either of my bandsaws. There are times the 14" goes months with out being used, and time the 19" goes months with out use. So I really dont think it is necessary.

All these beliefs are simply, Urban Myths.

...And the springs on your car, they're compressed 24/7?
    And after a while the ride height will change. I managed to get a pair of springs for my 2004 Altima cheap (from a totaled wreck) which I put aside to change when I got to my third pair of shocks. I just changed the shocks and springs. What a difference it makes!

...And the tires on the car?
    Do you have urethane tires on your car? Nope. Not a true comparison. I will say for your next car try some Polyester based tires. The tune will change. They flat spot in less than 48 hours. I have some on my RV the only vehicle that sits more than 2 days.

...ever hear anyone complain about it?

Believe me, I'm not singling you out here, but these statements / claims always come up, and there is no basis in fact to substantiate them.
    I de-tension when I remember. But them I forget to tension before I start the saw. May be I should follow the example of the fellow with the signs over the switches. On the other hand being an engineer, I'd rather have an interlock (switch and relay) that prevents me from turning on the saw when the tension lever is up.