Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Remembering to de-tension your bandsaw Blade

Blog Entries

Remembering to de-tension your bandsaw Blade

Here's something I did years ago to avoid forgetting to de-tension my bandsaw. I mounted a small microswitch so that the tension lever turned on some work lights when the blade is under tension. The light is not switched with the shop lights. When I leave the shop, I turn off the lights and it's easy to see if the bandsaw blade is under tension. The saw is in sort of a dingy area of the shop so it's easy to remember to tension the blade too. Without the blade under tension, the light's kind of bad.

What a great idea !

I stuck a label on the upper wheel cover of mine, reading simply "Blade Tension."

I'm very used to seeing the label, so ... half the time, I simply forget.

But it's never cost me any sleep

Hang yOur dust collector remote on the tension lever.

Blog Entries
    You want to hear about a really elaborate solution, see my recent post about power indication for a Sawstop. This solution was the inspiration for that one. The idea was to light up a flood light over my Sawstop when the main power is on but the main power is only 20ma.

...to avoid forgetting to de-tension my bandsaw...
    WHY on earth would you do that?????

Whats supposed to happen if you don't de-tension the saw???

Had mine little 14 incher for close to 20 years, put on a riser and 3horse motor and never done that, saws fine.
    Mike Harrison

then i suggest you keep your saw under tension. many of the reputed band saw experts, and most tool manufacturers, recommend detensioning the blade, at least for longish periods of non-use, to prevent flattening of tires and bending the saw frames.

Blog Entries
    There are a number of reasons:
    1. If you leave the bandsaw under tension for a long time it weakens the tensioning spring. Carter does a nice business selling replacement springs.
    2. If you leave the saw under tension, the rubber tires get flat spots and it runs 'bumpy'. combine that with funky springs and things get bad.
    3. I don't know if I buy this one but 'they' say that if you leave the bandsaw under tension, it will warp the castings. I choose not to temp the fates.

I can tell you that I have two bandsaws. My old Craftsman has been under tension for 20 years and the spring is shot and it's very hard to get the tension right. I really should put a new spring in it. I can't say if this is because of the constant tension but it doesn't track as well as it used to despite adjustment. Now, it's sort of a cheap saw so maybe the above two reasons apply more to it than to better saws.

My other saw is a 17" Rikon which is the one I have the light on. It's no big deal now to de-tension it because of the reminder.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 06-10-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm just one of those people that can't stand a crooked picture. I see a problem, visualize a solution and then I have to see if I can make it work. My dad suffered from the same condition. He was a tinkerer and his dental office was full of neat little ideas.

I had my BS for twenty years and do not de-tension the blade. Tires look new yet, no problems with springs, changed the drive belt once on the motor. I use the BS more then any tool in the shop. Things wear from inproper set up and operation mostly. But if i have to buy new tires or springs, well 20 years is a very long time, I got my monies worth out of it. I would not fret over it. Carl

Blog Entries
    I have an old craftsman BS and the tires on it definately have flat spots. Also, the spring is shot. I should really replace both because it won't track well any more. I don't use it much because I have a newer Rikon. That's the one I put the work lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Civitella View Post
    I had my BS for twenty years and do not de-tension the blade. Tires look new yet, no problems with springs, changed the drive belt once on the motor. I use the BS more then any tool in the shop. Things wear from inproper set up and operation mostly. But if i have to buy new tires or springs, well 20 years is a very long time, I got my monies worth out of it. I would not fret over it. Carl
    I wonder if that's why you don't have problems. I suspect that flat spots on tires and set in belts happens when things don't move for extended periods.

Be sure to give the tensioning assembly a shot compressed air to clear out the sawdust and then a squirt of dry lube on the threads! There's tons of pressure here and you can wear this assembly out as I did if you're a de-tensioner.

All these beliefs are simply, Urban Myths.

If you leave the bandsaw under tension for a long time it weakens the tensioning spring.
    ...And the springs on your car, they're compressed 24/7?

2. If you leave the saw under tension, the rubber tires get flat spots and it runs 'bumpy'.
    ...And the tires on the car?

...but 'they' say that if you leave it under tension, it will warp the castings...
    ...ever hear anyone complain about it?

Believe me, I'm not singling you out here, but these statements / claims always come up, and there is no basis in fact to substantiate them.
    Mike Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I wonder if that's why you don't have problems. I suspect that flat spots on tires and set in belts happens when things don't move for extended periods.
    I would expect that would be it exactly.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

The springs on your car are always under the static load of your car certainly but not always under the dynamic loads of driving. Band saw tires are not pneumatic as are car tires. Castings will warp all on their own without any applied loads.

There is plenty of info out there to substantiate the claims/facts that you so easily refute, I'd likely start with metalurgy...
    Last edited by Chris Fournier; 06-11-2011 at 11:05 AM.