Thread: roof cap for kitchen vent?

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county

roof cap for kitchen vent?

I know this is a little off topic for woodworking, but I am installing an over cooktop exhaust ventilation hood (had to cut some plywood if that makes this a woodworking project ) and I am a little lost on what to place on top of the roof to cover the duct from the hood.

I don't want rain coming in (it will go directly into the hood's fan motor), nor do I want smoke from the all too frequent wild fires to come in through this vent. But a lot of grease (hopefully) will get sucked up into the duct so I fear a hinged door on the vent cap might gum up and not move. Also I hate to waste the fan motor's limited power (it cannot compete with my Oneida DC) to force open a closed door.

What have others done when they installed exhaust hoods? Thanks.

James

I did not install the vent cap myself but they are made from 2 or more pieces, the bigger piece that cover the vent pipe and and the piece that will snap into the vent pipe

I wish I my stove hood vent had a door on it: cold air from outside flows right in if the fan isn't on.

My vent, however, is on the side of my two-story house so rain entry isn't an issue. It does have a mesh/grid on it to keep critters out.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

From what you are describing you want an APV (all purpose vent). You can get these at a roofing supply house or possibly one of the big box stores. What type of roof covering do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rogers View Post
    From what you are describing you want an APV (all purpose vent). You can get these at a roofing supply house or possibly one of the big box stores. What type of roof covering do you have?
    Composite asphalt.

Composite asphalt? Do you mean that you have aspahlt shingles or do you have a built up roof?

asphalt shingles (about 20"x15") nailed down to 3/4" OSB on 24" spaced 2"x6" rafters.