Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun with the sponge

Quote Originally Posted by Nestor Fernandez View Post
    What does that mean?? I guess I'm unclear as to what you mean by "relief". Either way, that looks great! Nice work!
    Nestor..they explained but I think you want to know how to do it. Simply surround the text you want to make stand above the surface with black. Leave the text white. Subsequently the background will be lasered away, leaving the text untouched. When water is added, everything expands and text is sitting higher than the surface.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Thanks Rodne, and Greg for the info. So, let me get this straight (I'm learning something today). In Corel, you create lettering, or an object, with no fill (so it doesn't etch), and you place that lettering, or object, on a filled background, so that it etches around it?? Or do you use the advanced settings in the Epilog Print Dialog box and play with the 3D settings?? I've never messed with that section at all.

Or, am I totally off and there is a completely different way of doing this that I know nothing about??

That's funny. Larry, we must have both been responding to this at the same time... I beat you by a hair. But, thanks for the explanation. That is what I figured, but I also think there is a way of placing the text, with no fill, over a filled background and then actually cutting the text out. I've done this before. I just can't remember how.

The other thing I'm wondering about is why doesn't the sponge burn and turn dark brown and crispy where you etch it. I would have guessed that the laser would destroy it. Nevertheless, I think this is a great idea and will probably be doing my own experimentation when I get some extra time.

EDIT:
    Just found it.... Once you have created the text and filled background, you select them both and click on the "Trim" or "Simplify" icons that appear in the toolbar. This will essentially cutout the words from the background and will keep the fill/no fill of the letters.
    Last edited by Nestor Fernandez; 06-09-2011 at 7:13 PM.

At LAST!!!! I'm Spongeworthy
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Greg when I grow up I wana be just like you . Good job on the sponge....
    I dont even think the sponge bob producers have the sponge bob on sponge.

Greg, thanks so much for sharing! I have friends who are getting married soon (the couple who has everything) and I have been stumped on a weeding gift. Thanks to you I now have an idea for a very cool "honeymoon" gift basket including body wash, lotions, etc . . . and personalized sponges.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Curious, Conde used to sell these sponges that you could sublimate. Are these sublimatable?

HeHeHe...... I think I may just have to make a handful cut like a coaster and set the on the bar
    at the nieghborhood watering hole and watch the fun!

Great find!!!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

For those of you who might be interested, here is an email I got from Larry in answer to my questions:

Dee,

Thank you again for your inquiry. An assortment of samples will ship out early next week.

Our sincere thanks to Greg Bednar and all the engravers out there that have visited our website and requested samples and more information about compressed sponge. We will do our best to answer individual questions and requests but thought some general information might prove helpful.

The master sheets that we produce vary in size due to the nature of the raw material blocks we start with. Because of this, certain larger sizes of sheets are not very economical to produce because they create a lot of waste. For example, 12 x 18 and 12 x 24 sheets are not a good fit, but 11 x 17 and 11 x 23 work out great.

Compressed sheet thickness is expressed as the "expanded" or "wet" thickness. The most common thicknesses and therefore most available, are 3/8", 5/8", and 1".

Colors; our most popular and again the most available color is beige. White is also popular and usually available for quick delivery. Other colors are yellow, blue, green and pink. However, these colors are not always readily available.

We are a job-shop converter. We do not have any standard size products or a catalog. Everything we produce is to our customer's specifications. However, for your convenience we are providing pricing for the sizes and thicknesses listed above. Other sizes will be quoted on request. Our minimum order is $50.00 , FOB Akron, Ohio.

11" x 17" x 3/8" $2.79 each, 5/8' $ 4.69 each, 1" $7.49 each

11" x 23" x 3/8" $3.79 each, 5/8" $ 6.29 each, 1" $9.95 each

Thank you again for your interest.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I have come up with another supplier that might be worth checking out:

Absorene Manufacturing Company, Inc.
    2141 Cass Avenue
    St. Louis, MO 63106
    800-662-7399
    www.absorene.com

Always nice to have more than one supplier. Have not ordered yet but they responded very promptly.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Well - there you have it. Prices, sizes, thicknesses, etc.. FYI - After you start to massage the different ways you can work with this material, the material disappears fast! It would be interesting to have a 3D architecture of sorts lased onto the sponges so after moistening, a small building or mountainscape reveals itself. My first thoughts were the Pyramids at Geza, ... I think you can see what I mean and follow along my line of thinking. I think this medium could lend itself very well to 3D product that can be shipped flat and then with a few drops of water, blossom into something cool. I also think soap holders with an area scooped out in the middle of the piece and perhaps a logo or text would be the bees knees for hotels, bath and tub areas. Is anyone following me here on this particular idea or have I had one too many cups of coffee?

Anyway, Dee, ( and others ) I hope these prices and sizes are amenable to all of you. - Greg
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Are these sublimatable?
    I believe they are.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Curious, Conde used to sell these sponges that you could sublimate. Are these sublimatable?

HeHeHe...... I think I may just have to make a handful cut like a coaster and set the on the bar
    at the nieghborhood watering hole and watch the fun!

Great find!!!

Marty
    Martin,

I was wishing they were sublimatable too, but my guess is that they may not, since they are made of cellulose which is a organic compound, sublimation just don't work with anything organic, I may be wrong though.

Ruben

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bednar View Post
    I also think soap holders with an area scooped out in the middle of the piece and perhaps a logo or text would be the bees knees for hotels, bath and tub areas. Is anyone following me here on this particular idea or have I had one too many cups of coffee?
    We must be sharing a coffee pot.. the first thing that came to mind is some of the old hotels/bed/breakfast places
    that have been around long enough to be landmarks (you know the ones.. everyone with a laser is sending them
    wooden cutouts of their building to sell in their gift shops)
    How about a sponge that pops out the hotel in relief? They could put one in each room and when people have
    fun with them, they can buy a half dozen down in the gift shop before they go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bednar View Post
    It would be interesting to have a 3D architecture of sorts lased onto the sponges
    that was the first thing that came to my mind , one could put faces, flowers, figurines ... just about everything on it - the Eiffel Tower would be fantastic *lol*

Does it cut clean, without burning residue or color changes ?
    Last edited by Andrea Weissenseel; 06-13-2011 at 4:58 AM.

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

Andrea, I've seen these sponges that Greg engraved, on the slower settings there was a little bit of darkening, but the minute the sponge hit the water - not a trace of any burning. He has really hit on a great idea!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender