Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weird question: dust and shavings control in neander shop

weird question: dust and shavings control in neander shop

This is probably a weird question in the context of a hand tools shop. The thing is I moved into a new house late last year and have been able to grab a corner of the garage as the shop. As those who live in north Texas will verify it can get a little toasty out here during the summer months. I am also fortunate enough to have a side door that open in the back yard. If I open this door and the garage door I can get the semblance of a cross breeze going which keeps things tolerable. But this wrecks havoc with the shavings and saw dust which fly all over the garage and with kids going in an out the house some of this makes its way inside the house. You can imagine the LOML is not happy with this sometimes. Typically I am very diligent about keeping things clean around the bench but if I am in the middle of a major planing session I will collect a pretty decent pile of shavings before I have a chance of tiding things up. A gust of wind in between can spread these all around the garage and under the cars etc.

Just wondering if someone else created some innovative solution to this problem.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I just track them into the basement (which is carpeted) and take the heat, just like you do.

The amount of trouble I get over it (which isn't insignificant) still doesn't outweigh being comfortable and relaxed in the shop. If I had to follow all shavings and dust around to ever little speck, I wouldn't be comfortable and relaxed.

I can't answer your question but I'm in the process of putting dust control on my power tools. Yesterday, I was doing some work with hand planes and a big pile of shavings were building up at my feet. I actually started thinking of ways to attach a dust collection hose to a hand plane. Then I said, "This is a dumb idea." and didn't pursue it any further.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Dust control seems to be an issue mostly for sawing operations. I just clean up more frequently during those. I do have a shop vac that I've debated rigging up near the vise... but haven't yet. (No significant breeze in the basement, even with the windows open!) Otherwise, I just let the shavings pile up until the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I actually started thinking of ways to attach a dust collection hose to a hand plane. Then I said, "This is a dumb idea." and didn't pursue it any further.
    Lol! now that would be interesting to see, I think this is a Derek Cohen type project.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

In Alaska we have a similar but opposite problem: keeping warm in the winter.

What we do is to insulate our garages and add heat. What about a small window / wall / door mounted AC unit? For temporary use an AC could be mounted into a "door insert", frames in with 2x2's and insulated (if desired). Just open the door and insert this framed-in AC when you're working in there. That'd reduce the air motion.

Mike.. A DC?? Don't tell me your "inner Norm-ite" is exposing itself..
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

DC, unplugged

Clean rooms use "sticky mats" to avoid particulate migration, by foot traffic.

They won't keep the shavings from flying, but may catch them at the door.

Sticky mat

If I'm going to do a butt load of planing ill lay a long cardboard box in front of the bench. The chaw from the RedMan keeps the shavings weighted down. The box usually sits behind my lathe to catch all that mess.
    It's sufficiently stout..

Have to train the Mrs. that wood is clean.
    If it was not the doctor would not use wood for tongue depressors...
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I actually started thinking of ways to attach a dust collection hose to a hand plane. Then I said, "This is a dumb idea." and didn't pursue it any further.

Mike
    Finally a way to make a Bailey as noisy as a powertool!!

Funny, I have just been thinking about this very issue. I have been pondering the implications of having a little all-hand-tool bench in my apartment (essentially one bedroom-studio). Sawing and rasping seem to be the biggest issues. A vacuum cleaner or DC would pretty much defeat the whole idea of the project and cause my neighbors to hate me in short order. I was thinking that a box-fan or two rigged with some air-filters could do a pretty good job at cutting down on errant particulates.
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."

A DC hose might work on a smoother, but the shavings from a scrub or heavily cambered jack would probably bridge and plug any hose smaller than 2 1/4". A broom is easier...

The lee valley catalogue has a bag that fits on a regular house fan that could be useful.
    It's sufficiently stout..

Why not institute a no-shoes policy for inside the house?

Pam

I'd say the sticky mat such as those for clean rooms, like stated above is your best bet to keep the Mrs. happy.

And for god's sake please don't hook up a DC to a handplane. That's one of the most important reasons that I resort to hand tools is the peacfulness of the whole thing. Add a screaming DC or shop vac while planing or sawing and you might just as well break out the table saw and planer.