Thread: EM 6000 semi gloos before satin to pop grain?

EM 6000 semi gloos before satin to pop grain?

Hello, yet another EM 6000 question. I have 3 maple doors to put a finish on. I plan on using EM6000 satin, I tried it on a shop cart and it works well. I think that I saw on another thread where someone mentioned that you can use the semi gloss for the first couple of coats to improve the look of the grain. I will not be using any oil or shellac to pop the grain, I just want to spray the EM 6000. Will using the semi for the first coat or two make that much of a difference? If so will just one coat of satin at the end reduce the shine or should I plan on a couple of coats?

Thanks,
    Chris

It is a tradtional practice to use gloss finishes for the first coats, and only the final coat or two of satin. The rational is that the flatting agents--usually a silica compound--could cause a degree of cloudiness if used in a number coats. It that sense it makes the grain more clear--not one could hardly call that "popping" the grain. It's a pretty subtle difference, especially if you aren't building a really thick finish with many coats of satin.

To pop grain, at the very least you want a finish that has some amber tint in it,(you could add amber TransTint to the EM 6000) and for full impact of grain popping an oil based material, such as BLO, that adds a bit of translucentcy to parts of the grain. These do complicate your finishing schedule. You need to make sure the BLO has well cured and perhaps add a barrier coat of fresh dewaxed shellac to avoid compatibility issues.

Thanks Steve. I am matching some cabinets and trim that just have a water based laquer, not sure if it was the EM6000. I do want to simplify the finish process. I have a lot of walnut accents and bar top that I did the BLO/Shellac/Laquer and it really makes a difference. The doors can be more subtle than the accents. I will order up some Semi-gloss or gloss EM-6000 and maybe a splash of Transtint. Hopefully this weekend I can finish up a built-in maple bench that I can try out the transtint on before I screw up the doors!