Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with lawn sprinklers

Blog Entries

What's up with lawn sprinklers

I inadvertently broke our old oscillating lawn sprinkler while relocating the hose. Apparently all lawn sprinklers are not created equally. We've had this one so long I forgot when we got it, but it has worked reliably until I broke it. I went to the Orange Borg, bought their best metal base Melnor lawn sprinkler. Brought it home hooked it up and it ran for about a dozen oscillations until our water pressure dropped ( well 40-60 psig), then it stalled in one place, flooding that area. Even when the water pressure increased it remained stalled, just clicking away. Took it back got another of the same model (360M), same problem.

Reading sprinkler reviews online is amazing half the people either love a model or hate it.

Has anyone recently purchased an oscillating type lawn sprinkler for about $25-30 that works on water pressure down to 40 psig (or lower) that doesn't fall part in the first few weeks of use?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-08-2011 at 9:19 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

There used to be a company out in Iowa that made the best, they are the ones that made the tractor sprinklers [I have two!] but they made the mistake of getting involved with WalMart, and now they are no more. If my tractors ever wear out I will be looking myself.

Its not just sprinklers, its everything. As long as the public's first priority is price, this will be how things go. Most often what you hear is how little some one paid for something, not how good it is made. I don't even think a company could survive on quality right now, unless it is a small niche market like Lie Nielson. Good names are being drug in the dirt. Took a look at a Troy Built tiller to get back into gardening. Not even close to the one I had 25 years ago. But it is cheap!

Sad really.......

Larry

Another one of those seemingly simple devices that no one can seem to get right anymore, like pencils and toasters.

Checkout a local nursery or garden center and ask them where you can buy decent equipment. They probably have a good source.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    There used to be a company out in Iowa that made the best, they are the ones that made the tractor sprinklers [I have two!] but they made the mistake of getting involved with WalMart, and now they are no more. If my tractors ever wear out I will be looking myself.
    That is Nelson (Peoria, Illinois actually). I bought 4 nice hose nozzles from them over the last 2 years so we'd a good one in each spot we have a hose. Not cheap ones but metal ones with a selectable spray pattern. 100% failure rate on the four in 12-24 months. They were stored off the hoses, in the garage over the winter so it shouldn't have been caused by freezing and the failures are different. I went to their web site to try to find out about warranty and searching their site for the word warrantee or guarantee gives no results. I had to email customer service who told me all their stuff has 1 year warranty and that you have to have the original receipt and send them the defective item. Right--who saves a receipt for a $12 item and pays $6 to send it in for replacement? To their somewhat credit they did send me 3 replacements from a photo i sent, but the replacements feel even more cheaply made. What's really sickening is that the are a Robert Bosch company! Bosch also owns the brand carried at Lowes and they also now have a Peoria, IL address.

I bought 3 new store brand ones at our local Do-It-Best hardware. They have an over the counter replacement guarantee. Ironically, when I got them off the packaging they say Nelson right on them but they feel more substantial than the ones they are replacing. And I know they will take care of me.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 06-08-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Has anyone recently purchased an oscillating type lawn sprinkler for about $2530 that works on water pressure down to 40 psig (or lower) that doesn't fall part in the first few weeks of use?
    Think you've got a typo in that price, Lee...

Anyways, you might want to take a look at the Garden Tools side of Lee Valley. They've got a good selection of sprinklers there, and they don't tend to sell junk.
    "It's Not About You."

Blog Entries
    Not directly related, but I recently added about a dozen metal quick hose connections to our garden hose scheme. What a difference this has made in my life. What's funny, is that I'm not even kidding.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I bought into the WalMart sprinkler, and couldn't be happier. They don't sell the exact model I bought, but here's the newe version, apparently: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Melnor-Tur...nkler/16213340 It lets you adjust the number of nozzles it sprays out of, and how much flow you allow, and is now in the middle of it's second summer and I've never had any problems out of it. And for 15-20, I can't complain at all.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vaughn View Post
    I bought into the WalMart sprinkler, and couldn't be happier. They don't sell the exact model I bought, but here's the newe version, apparently: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Melnor-Tur...nkler/16213340 It lets you adjust the number of nozzles it sprays out of, and how much flow you allow, and is now in the middle of it's second summer and I've never had any problems out of it. And for 15-20, I can't complain at all.
    That's the same brand as the ones that won't work on low water pressure that I returned. HD had that one as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Well crud. Sorry to hear it. I wonder if they changed anything on the new design?

I went through this a few years back, ended up making some pvc stands that I could screw in pop up type sprinkler heads works well
    Thank You
    Ed

Lee,
    I have well water about the same pressure as yours. I've had a Nelson plastic oscillating sprinkler for 20 + years that works fine on low pressure. Not sure what model # it is. It has a round plastic base. I think I got it at Sears. It looks something like this but not as modern.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...7&blockType=G7
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

The best Oscillating Sprinkler I've used is made by Gardena. The model I have isn't in your price range, but it's been great for the last 11 years. Patterns are fully adjustable, flow valve, and the timer is really nice: http://www.amazon.com/Aquazoom-3800-...7547184&sr=1-9

This one is still a little over your price point; http://www.amazon.com/Aquazoom-2700-...7547435&sr=1-1

I've tried various Nelsons & Melnors from the big box stores. Not a one has been any good. I just need to break down and get another Gardena for the front yard.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Another one of those seemingly simple devices that no one can seem to get right anymore, like pencils and toasters.
    . . . and drill presses; I am tired of waiting for a properly priced and well designed woodworking drill press . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The good old tractor sprinkler is very hard to beat.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I buy used brass sprinklers at garage sales. Some need a little tune up but most perform well. I haven't tried any of the new plastic sprinklers and my well water pressure is high so I haven't had a problem unless the laundry is being washed and I have 3 sprinklers running at the same time.
    David B