Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are you a fan of?

Who are you a fan of?

I always wonder how everyone on the board feels about other people's work. I'm a big fan of Thomas Moser pieces and Christian Becksvoort as well.

So, who's work do you enjoy drooling over?

Robbi Staples

Right here, in my little corner of the world..http://staplesfinefurniture.com/

On the other side of the world...http://jfinkle.com/

William Morris started the Arts & Crafts movement. Frank Lloyd Wright did his interpretation. But, Greene & Greene's style is my absolute FAV!

G&G design.jpg

edit: Aww, you're wayy too kind Larry! ;-)
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 06-04-2011 at 7:47 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Chip Lindley......

Blog Entries
    George Wilson
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

James Krenov
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Norm Abram

Wow, thanks for showing us Josh Finkle.

George Hepplewhite.

He gave us a respite from Rococo excess of line and ornametation, and gave us simple and elegant lines for sofas, sideboards, and chairs.
    His designs for shieldback chairs represent the best of the classical chairs, IMO.

The much earlier William & Mary lowboy is one of the nicest pieces ever devised, with pleasing ornamentation and proportions. Of course, the the name of originator of this design is lost to time, but many original examples of this versatile form are still with us. They were used as desks, dressing tables, and sideboards. Later lowboys in the Queen Anne and Chippendale styles look comparatively awkward, as if they were about to scurry away. Chippendale sideboards tend to be bulky, overly ornamented, and appear too heavy to be supported on so few legs. But the Hepplewhite sideboard is perfection in form and line, with slender legs easily supporting the graceful body of the piece.

Timothy

Hans Wegner for chairs. Chairs are really challenging. Some of his are wonderful -- subtle and graceful.

I watched Norm Abram from the very beginning.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Darrell Peart

http://www.furnituremaker.com/

I will say Norm Abram's may have had more impact, in total numbers of people who took up woodworking , of any carpenter who ever "taught", or inspired people, to take up woodworking.

I have no facts to support this , it's just a hunch.

Besides Chip, I would have to say I like Sam Maloff. I like his work, and although I never had the pleasure I would have liked his personality from everything I have read. I agree with Chip that Greene & Greene were a pair with vision from a design standpoint, I have several books on their work and use it as a reference to suppliment my meager imagination. I respect Krenov, even though I was never a fan of his style, but he did have his own style, and that is hard to accomplish. My work is a lot of reproduction of others style, and I have to admit I do not have one I can call my own.

My favorite person however is an old German fellow, long dead now that in his gruff way taught me the difference between utilitarian woodwork and true craftsmanship. I only worked with him for a year, but it was in that formitive time in my 20's when you decide a direction, and what work means to you. Thirty some years later when I do something that is not terrible I think of Gunther and wish I could get his gruff assessment. Its funny, I work to get approval of a man long passed away.

Larry

The Shakers... crisp clean lines, nothing fancy just timeless.

Chris Becksvoort as well. Went by his place in Maine one year but missed him. His pieces are simple yet so beautiful.
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14