Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: European Combination Machine

Jeff is correct. Accessories really ad up. Extra spindles are important and Kay makes a great RPC. Don't be afraid of three phase. Once you go three you won't go back. Trying to source used accessories and rpc, dust collector etc gets difficult and the freight sucks so getting it together is a big deal. The type of woodworking really does influence the type of saw. If I never did cabinet work I would have a short slider- even a hammond trim saw- and a regular TS. Dave

I have a Hammer A3 31 with a Byrd Head and a Hammer K3 Winner that I love. When I was doing my research most of what I found is that the Hammer Line is geared for Hobbyist and are very Solid Built Machines. Felders are a beefier machine but that's because they are usually put in a shop where someone is slamming down 3/4 mdf all day and not taking care of the saw as well. Both have Quality Cuts. I was watching a shop tour with Chris Schwarz and he has a Hammer A3 31 in his home shop.

Hi Ben, I traded a shop full of General machinery for a Hammer A3-31 jointer/planer and a Hammer B3 Winner saw/shaper.

I couldn't be happier, I have more capacity and capabilities than the separates had, with far less floor space used.

The B3 I bought has the 51" sliding table, perfect for me as it will crosscut a sheet of plywood, while retaining the ergonomics of a cabinet saw.

The sliding table/tilting spindle 4 HP shaper with tilt away power feeder is incredible, and of course requires no extra floor space.

Same for the 12" jointer, with planer, how many basement townhouse shops could ever have a conventional 12" jointer?

There are many options, which are available only at time of purchase (such as a scoring saw), with a vast array of accessories that can be purchased at any time.

The Hammer/Felder machines have the ability to be as large or as small as you want, at that moment. Need to handle a large piece? Clip on a couple of extension rails, put the outrigger back on and you have a large machine with a minute or two conversion time.

If you're mostly working on small pieces, remove the extension tables and outrigger, now you have a small slider with great ergonomics.

http://www.feldergroupusa.com/us-us/...osgruppen_id=0

The above videos will give you a good idea of what you can do with a combo............Rod.

I've used an old industrial shaper before and liked using a power feeder with it because I didn't want to go anywhere near those huge spinning cutter heads. For this reason I am looking at a standalone shaper I can permanently mount a power feeder to and leave it setup against a wall.

For the tablesaw, I ordered the largest Hammer K3W and am still waiting for it due to the long lead times for a machine to be built in Austria. Expect an over the top review in the near future.

I've used a Hammer A3-31 for over a year and boy is it well made. I feel as though it would be suitable for even a small cabinet shop for it holds its settings very well and performs very consistent. I used to have two lunchbox planers but I ended up selling them along with my Delta 6" deluxe jointer and will never look back.

You don't have to jump on the Hammer/Felder bandwagon right away though and can consider your options to be Minimax, Rojek, Laguna, and Grizzly for they all make "euro" style combination machines. Do your research on the internet, check craigslist and used machine websites.

Then let us know when you put your order in for the hammer machines... j/k