Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Architectural Models

Architectural Models

I thought that I would post a work in progress.
    Since I am an architect one of the many reasons for getting the laser was to make architectural models. I started this test project with one of my existing designs that I had done for a local builder. I took my 2d cadd files and exported them to SketchUp to create a 3d model. I did this to create all of the parts that I would need to cut the model out. With the 3d file I was able to make notches and tabs on each piece so the model could be snapped together. After working everything out I exported a 2d dwg file to Corel for the laser. All I had to do was to nest the parts and cut.
    This model is made from 1/8" baltic birch plywood for the structure and 1/8" acrylic for the windows. I am using .024 thick "PloyBak" that I have 3d engraved on to create siding, roofing and stone. The model scale is 1/4"=1'-0".
    I am interested if anyone else is doing this and if they have any tips or tricks of the trade.

PICT1974.jpgPICT1967.jpgPICT1968.jpg
    Larry Folk

LEF Architects, LLC
    The Historic Model Aircraft Company
    Epilog 24x12 75 watt
    Roland GX-24
    Corel X4
    MicroStation CADD Software
    Rhino w/T-Splines
    SketchUp 8 Pro

Larry,

First thing that's awesome nicely done I have not made a model yet but will be in a few weeks, I will need tips from you.
    Dean Fowell

Support Engineer
    Cad Cam Solutions

Georgia USA Previously Down Under
    Corel, Inkscape, Solidworks, Solid Edge, Lasercut 5.3, PhotoGrave 3.0 Radan, Tool Shop Cad Cam, AutoCad 2013, Radan Cad Cam , Visiual Macro
    FLC1490 80 watt, Shopbot

Wow, I've only made models with foamboard and paint - wood looks great! Can't wait to see the finished product, with siding, roofing and stone - ought to be killer!

Keep us posted, Larry!

Hi to Judy, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

4. I like your model, nice work. Yes, slot and tab is the way to go.

I've done a couple of buildings, both quite different and employed quite different methods and materials. Happy to trade info and techniques. right now I'm working on the second of two topo/architectural models for the Army. The scale on those is 1" = 100'. 25' tall buildings are 1/4" tall. I often have to make the determination that an object or structure is simply TSTM (too small to model).
    Admin Overview.jpgArial View.jpgI
    Spin Tunnel.jpgSpin Tunnel 2.jpg06-28-08LJS 498.jpg06-28-08LJS 488.jpg06-28-08LJS 491.jpg06-28-08LJS 482.jpg
    Last edited by Sotos Patistas; 05-30-2011 at 9:10 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sotos... best scale buildings I've ever seen. Kudos! Can't remember names, but several on here do scale railroad work... very cool.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have made many arch models , some really big (2,5m x 1.8m),mostly for developers who are selling units in big buy off plan developments. Also done quite a few for film sets. Some customers demand uber realism and some want more a stylised rendition (mainly the landscape aspects)
    I use many materials , but buildings are mainly done in 1-3mm cast acrylic and are glued and painted , but you have to be creative and use whatever you have at hand to represent items well , for eq a terracotta tile room we would do in red paper and laser the patterns.
    What has made our modeling extremely effactive is our Roland print and cut machine , it prints on vinyl and other substrates and then die cuts to shape. It enables extreme realism on models , for eg we would print a reflection of the sky and clouds for windows and then cut and apply that to the buildings windows.
    In General , I use autocad files for the cutting , either directly from Acad or imported into corel.
    it can take a long time to do a model , we had one that cost the customer over $50k and took almost 2 months to complete (it was a very lifelike multi hi rise building model for a developer)
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Really awesome to see the pics

Regards,
    saravanakumar
    Epilog Legend 24 EX - 75W with Rotary
    Fiber laser Marker 20w ( IPG)
    Flat bed heat press, Mug printing, Epson 230 x 2
    Flame Polishing machine, Acrylic Bender, Nicejet Flatbed printer A3+, Electrochemical etcher.
    "If you think you can or you cannot - you're right" HENRY FORD

Do a search for David Fairfield (I believe that's who it is) He has some amazing models.

Nice work by the way, it's always nice to see what others create with the laser!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Larry

Oil board makes an excellent material for achitectural modeling. It cuts like butter and will take a paint finish. It's about .020" thick.

Excellent work by you and Sotos.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Marty.

Yeah, the laser is ideal for architectural modeling, especially since real world architecture tends to be constructed from flat materials. I also use 3d engraving on polybak for shingles, trim etc.

ScaleReference.jpg
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    Thanks Marty.

Yeah, the laser is ideal for architectural modeling, especially since real world architecture tends to be constructed from flat materials. I also use 3d engraving on polybak for shingles, trim etc.

ScaleReference.jpg
    David...that is KILLER! Drop dead gorgeous! You tha man!
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

And a giant hand comes out of nowhere............ :-)
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Blog Entries
    David,

Out of curiosity, what price range would something like that be in? Does it come pre-finished and all you do is assemble?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Once again, David blows my mind!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

15. David,

Amazing work, I've seen some of your scenes before. Truly in a class by itself.

Sotos