Thread: Uvex Bionic Question

Uvex Bionic Question

I see that the Uvex Bionic Faceshield is the protection of choice for many here. I would like to upgrade to one as well, but have a problem with items fitting, (can you say "Fat Head"?). Everywhere I look seems to talk about the ratcheting headband but I've yet to find a listing anywhere that states how large the headband opens up to.

Do any of you have that info? Or are there Uvex Bionic owners/wearers who are blessed/cursed with large craniums such as myself who find the unit fits them ok?

Just would like to know if it will fit before having to order one off the Net.

Thanks, Clint

Clint,

My head is rather large as well, no problems with mine. Plenty of room for "expansion"................My hat size is less than an 8, I'd guess, but not by much.......

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I'll measure mine this morning, although I don't know when I'll be back in from the shop. But if you don't have an answer by then, maybe I can help a bit.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Fully expanded the headband comes in at about 26.5 inches. My hat size is very large also and this fits well with room for expansion. Hope that helps. I have found the Uvex to be very comfortable and the visibility is excellent. I went with the anti-fog, hardened face shield. $35.95 including shipping from Enviro Safety Products.
    Gag, Ack, Barf - Bill the Cat

Yup...that's what I measured too. What is interesting about this faceshield is that when you put it on, it disappears. And it's so light that you just forget it's there.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Giant heads are a sign of genius! At least that's what I tell people about my enormous melon. I've had no trouble with the shield, and I've got several 'clicks' to spare on the headband.

John that is exactly the impression I get as well. I find myself reaching up and touching it periodically just to make sure it is on. Sure beats my previous shield which pinched my forehead and was always clouding up.
    Gag, Ack, Barf - Bill the Cat

I'm also kind of a fat head, can't wear a baseball cap. But my Bionic fits well with room to expand. I turn in a cold garage in the winter so I checked this morning (it actually snowed here last night ) and I can get it on over a hoody. Another nice feature of the Bionic is that it has two positions for the shield so you can move it out away from you face a little too. I've worn mine through two fairly long sessions of turning so far and have found it comfortable. So comfortable that I forgot I had it on and tried to blow some sanding dust out of a piece and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't blow away until I realized I had the shield on . I wiped mine with a dryer sheet and have had no problems with dust sticking or fogging up so far either.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    ...So comfortable that I forgot I had it on and tried to blow some sanding dust out of a piece and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't blow away until I realized I had the shield on...
    LOL... I've done this about a dozen times since I got my shield. One other tip, if you think you're about to sneeze, raise the visor before you do so.

Glasses ?

Is it compatible with glasses ?
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Donley View Post
    Is it compatible with glasses ?
    Scott,

Yes, I wear a pair of Uvex bifocal safety glasses under mine, no problems.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post
    Scott,

Yes, I wear a pair of Uvex bifocal safety glasses under mine, no problems.

Rich
    Thanks for the answer !
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

My biggest problem so far has been trying to blow some dust off of something with the shield down. It's so comfortable that I forget I have it on.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Ed,
    How about when you have to blow your nose and forget you are wearing the thing. It really makes me feel dumb when my hanky covered hand is expecting to find my nose and runs into the face shield instead.
    faust