Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Thien/McCallister Dust Collector Project

Oops, I think I found the answer after digging around in the Discount Drainage website. They are Hancor Drain Tech 6" Locking Adapters, Product No. 0612SD. They list them as 20/pkg, so I hope I can find the somewhere in lesser quantities, since I only need a few. Thanks for providing the info, tho.

Paul

For anyone who is interested, I did find a source for these 6" fittings online: [URL="http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&m=12&itemNumber=45294"] @ $4.24 ea. in min. qty. of 4 each. I assume that the "SD" designation indicates that they fit the thin wall PVC piping.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stoops View Post
    For anyone who is interested, I did find a source for these 6" fittings online: [URL="http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&m=12&itemNumber=45294"] @ $4.24 ea. in min. qty. of 4 each. I assume that the "SD" designation indicates that they fit the thin wall PVC piping.

Paul
    Here's a picture:
    45294_092407i_ns.jpg

Why are you using a combination of solid and flex pipe? I can see/understand flex coming off the end and going to the machine. Thinking more about the flex for elbows and the connecting pc for the 2 solids?? Wouldn't that create more drag and decrease the efficiency?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Millis View Post
    Why are you using a combination of solid and flex pipe? I can see/understand flex coming off the end and going to the machine. Thinking more about the flex for elbows and the connecting pc for the 2 solids?? Wouldn't that create more drag and decrease the efficiency?
    I would prefer all solid of course, but there would be no way to connect it to the table saw. It rotates to lock in place, so there needs to be enough flexibility to allow that. The only other flex pipe is at the joint/hinge because that's the easiest & cheapest way to do it. The only reason for going through all this trouble in the first place is because I also use my garage as a garage. I wanted everything to be mobile, while still having adequate dust collection. Did that answer your question?

I'm trying this design for flow control within the table saw workstation. It's simply a box with a hinged door that will be connected to a lever. That way you can divert the suction to either the table saw or the router.
    IMAG0467.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick Maloney; 08-01-2011 at 5:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Maloney View Post
    I made a lot of progress on the table saw duct work today. The whole assembly stores up out of the way, above the garage door, but can be lowered down when in use.
    Attachment 203570Attachment 203569
    Yeah I understand about the flex tubing from the solid pipe to the machine. I was just wondering about these two. Is it some kind of swing arm?? I'm going to pipe mine later this year and just trying to setup a way to do it.

edit - just looked at the pics again - I see it now. 2 different angles for the same pipe. Makes a lot more sense now.
    Last edited by Bud Millis; 08-01-2011 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stoops View Post
    For anyone who is interested, I did find a source for these 6" fittings online: [URL="http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&m=12&itemNumber=45294"] @ $4.24 ea. in min. qty. of 4 each. I assume that the "SD" designation indicates that they fit the thin wall PVC piping.Paul
    You are correct. These adaptors fit inside 6" s&d pipe or flexible hose.

Here's a few pictures of the table saw and planer dust collection parts I worked on today. Under the table saw, I used 1/4" hardboard and grooved mdf strips, so I can slide it out for occasional clean-up or maintenance.
    IMAG0470.jpgIMAG0471.jpg
    For the planer, a Delta 22-580, I spent several long hours heating and forming a piece of 6" pvc and attached it to the slightly-modified OEM blade guard. I epoxied a bracket on the bottom which will bolt to the casting for extra stability. I will post more pictures when I get more time to work.
    IMAG0474.jpgIMAG0477.jpgIMAG0476.jpg

Looks good Pat. Let me know when you get it all set up and all the bugs worked out so I can swing by and copy the good points of your shop.

Nice set-up, Pat. I like your tablesaw box and the drop. Very clever. I made a similar enclosure for my tablesaw a while back and thus far have had no problems with it despite the motor not being rated for being totally enclosed. On your drop, you could make that joint at the ceiling with a solid elbow and use the elbow/trunk joint as the pivot. As long as you capture the joint within a structure so that it doesn't come apart, it works very well and is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    ...On your drop, you could make that joint at the ceiling with a solid elbow and use the elbow/trunk joint as the pivot. As long as you capture the joint within a structure so that it doesn't come apart, it works very well and is cheap.
    That does sound like a good plan. It would've been a lot easier and cleaner than my version. Do you have any pictures of your DC system to show us?

Hi Patrick. I've enjoyed watching your thread. Nice adapter for the planer.

Thanks Mark! I hope this thread is useful for you and others. As for the planer adapter, I still haven't hooked it up yet. I'm building a mobile workstation for the planer and want to run some more DC ducting before trying it out. I think it will work great, though. Good luck.

I decided to take the filter down today to see if the separator was working. I'm happy to say that there wasn't any significant amount of sawdust in there, so the system is working well so far. The real test will be with a full bin, though.