Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Thien/McCallister Dust Collector Project

Here is the latest. The next step is to fabricate the mating surface and clamping arrangement of the dust bin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Patrick Maloney; 06-01-2011 at 2:44 AM.

I got the dust bin mostly installed today. It sits on a spring-loaded shelf that keeps the bin sealed against the separator. It should work, but I do need to adjust and reinforce the shelf in order to get a good seal. The bin will also have a plexiglass window so you can see when it needs to be emptied.
    IMAG0352.jpgIMAG0351.jpg

Got the window installed and the shelf reinforced. I will eventually connect the countertop from the radial arm saw to the dust bin so there will be a continuous work surface all along the wall. The table saw work station fits nicely underneath and out of the way.
    IMAG0358.jpgIMAG0357.jpg

Anyone have advice on DIY blast gates? I plan on incorporating magnetic switches to turn the DC on/off automatically.

Check this guy out. If you google his name I'm sure there is more info.

http://videos.americanwoodworker.com...ust-Collection

Alan Schaffter

I'm not looking to build an auto-gate system, just manual gates that turn on/off the DC.
    Last edited by Patrick Maloney; 06-15-2011 at 10:15 PM.

If you go to Bills site you can down load his software for his cyclone it has many variables,,,,sizing of hoses cylinder etc. You can then add the size cylinder you have and then build a ramp as the software will give you the measurements. I didn't use the soft. but will next time I think it helps much.
    http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raul segura; 06-16-2011 at 1:28 AM.

redundancy
    Last edited by raul segura; 06-17-2011 at 2:40 AM.

I have a little problem..... I turned the DC on for the first time and it sounded fine until the motor got up to speed. It made a loud clanking noise, so I immediately turned it off. My only guess is that there's not enough resistance and the motor is overspeeding. I had the separator and dust bin installed, but there was only about 6' of pipe not attached to any tools. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Maloney View Post
    I have a little problem..... I turned the DC on for the first time and it sounded fine until the motor got up to speed. It made a loud clanking noise, so I immediately turned it off. My only guess is that there's not enough resistance and the motor is overspeeding. I had the separator and dust bin installed, but there was only about 6' of pipe not attached to any tools. Any ideas?
    Is it possible there is something like a screw or something like that stuck in the blower? Or that the impeller has slipped on the shaft a little?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Is it possible there is something like a screw or something like that stuck in the blower? Or that the impeller has slipped on the shaft a little?
    I thought at first that the blades were rubbing, but I checked all the clearances. It's a brand new motor and fan, which mounts on a straight shaft with a bolt as safety, so the impellar did not slip down. Also, the noise only happens once the fan is up to what I assume is full speed. As soon as I turn it off, the noise stops and the fan spins down normally.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Maloney View Post
    I thought at first that the blades were rubbing, but I checked all the clearances. It's a brand new motor and fan, which mounts on a straight shaft with a bolt as safety, so the impellar did not slip down. Also, the noise only happens once the fan is up to what I assume is full speed. As soon as I turn it off, the noise stops and the fan spins down normally.
    What happens if you run the blower by itself with only a blast gate at the inlet. Can you adjust the blast gate to get the same noise?

I'll have to try that this weekend when I have time. Can I add too much resistance and cause damage, or is too little resistance the only thing I have to worry about?

To much resistance would cause thermal overload and trip a breaker, either on the motor itself (if so equipped) or at the breaker panel.

I don't think you'll cause damage by over restricting the airflow.
    Just start with the gate wide open, then gradually close it to see if the sound goes away.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

The motor and fan are off a Jet DC-1900, which has three inlets, so hopefully there's just not enough SP. Is it possible the noise is some kind of safety mechanism? Maybe overspeed or overcurrent protection? I know the retail price on this motor is $600, so if those built-in safetys exist, I would hope it would have them. I really doubt if there's something wrong with the motor. It was in a sealed box from Jet and even included the invoice, so I know it's brand new.
    Last edited by Patrick Maloney; 06-22-2011 at 7:35 PM.