Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Thien/McCallister Dust Collector Project

Hybrid Thien/McCallister Dust Collector Project

I have been gathering parts and pieces here and there for quite some time and am now finally building my dust collection system. This is my first shop and my first DC setup, so I would appreciate any constructive criticism you guys have to offer. Thanks!

Here is the main component of the separator. I originally purchased a used Cincinatti Fan 300S unit which came with a tall cardboard drum. I cut the top section off of that drum to use for the separator and epoxied a 6" pvc pipe (the expanded end) to it for the transition.

IMAG0328.jpgIMAG0329.jpgIMAG0330.jpg

Here is the motor/blower assembly. I found a deal on a replacement Jet 3hp motor on CL for $100 and purchased the 14" fan straight from Jet for roughly $100 shipped. The enclosure is from the Cincinatti Fan 3 phase unit I salvaged. I enclosed the assembly in an MDF box for a couple reasons. First, it's easily mounted wherever I want it to be. Second, it gives me the option to add soundproofing if required. I also think it looks better because it blends in instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.

IMAG0306.jpgIMAG0304.jpgIMAG0305.jpg

The Wynn filter bolts to an MDF bracket that is mounted in the unusable space above the garage door.

IMAG0307.jpgIMAG0308.jpgIMAG0312.jpgIMAG0315.jpg

I decided to try a modified version of the intake "standpipe". Instead of using a straight section of pvc or sheetmetal, I formed a cone. If I understand the theory correctly, a cyclone uses a cone shape on the outside and a straight standpipe on the inside to increase velocity and centrifugal force in order to shed particles in the airstream. I thought maybe a similar effect could be obtained by using a straight structure with a cone-shaped standpipe. Guess we'll see what happens...

IMAG0318.jpgIMAG0319.jpg

The big advantage of this setup for me is space savings. I am able to mount the entire system in the corner above where my mobile table saw station is stored.

IMAG0320.jpg

I have never seen a horizontal filter. How are you going to clean it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Stricker View Post
    I have never seen a horizontal filter. How are you going to clean it out?
    Hopefully I'll only have to clean it out occasionally. I just have to remove 4 wing nuts and the filter comes off.

Patrick, how did figure the projection of the inlet pipe to the cylinder? It's a nice fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Patrick, how did figure the projection of the inlet pipe to the cylinder? It's a nice fit.
    About an hour of trial and error. I started with a piece longer than I needed and started trimming and marking until I got it close enough. Once I had no more than a 1/4" gap anywhere, I taped one side of the seam and filled it with 5 minute epoxy.

It looks like a neat job, mating the pipe to the cylinder - only one problem. IIRC they found that having the pipe stick into the cylinder instead of being cut flush actually improves the separation.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    It looks like a neat job, mating the pipe to the cylinder - only one problem. IIRC they found that having the pipe stick into the cylinder instead of being cut flush actually improves the separation.
    It's no big deal if that turns out to be true. I can try that later f I'm not happy with the performance of the separator.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-26-2011 at 6:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Maloney View Post
    It's no big deal if that turns out to be true. I can try that later f I'm not happy with the performance of the separator.
    I did what I think Thom is referring to--form a "chimney" that starts 3" above the baffle and extends into the filter 3" or 4". It may well be that your cone will work as well or better. I for one will be waiting to hear how it turns out. I think the number of different installations to Phil's baffle is neat.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 06-26-2011 at 6:07 PM.

I'm not sure we're all talking about the same thing now. Here's another picture I hope will clarify things a little. This is the separator upside down on the floor (if it were installed you would be looking up into the blower inlet). The separator inlet is 6" pvc and is cut flush with the perimeter to minimize turbulence. The blower intake cone extends down to 3-4" above the baffle, like a standard intake. The only difference there is the shape.

IMAG0340.jpg

14. I'm very interested since I am planning a similar arrangement in my garage corner.

What happened to the thien-seperator-disc/6" intake-Barrel-section assembly in the pics where it is mounted to wall? I don't see the intake or disc.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Kinsfather View Post
    I'm very interested since I am planning a similar arrangement in my garage corner.

What happened to the thien-seperator-disc/6" intake-Barrel-section assembly in the pics where it is mounted to wall? I don't see the intake or disc.
    Thanks
    This pic?
    IMAG0318.jpg

It is a work in progress. When I took that picture I hadn't made the 6" pvc intake or the baffle yet.