Thread: table saw fence: Vega versus Biesemeyer

table saw fence: Vega versus Biesemeyer

I have an older Craftsman model 113. tablesaw. I have made a lot of modifications to it such as built it into a heavy cabinet base, added pals for alignment, a link belt to smooth out vibrations, and even added another cast iron table from a salvaged craftsman saw as an extension to add weight. I have a Vega fence and am pleased with it but someone gave me one of the Biesemeyer fences back when Lowes was closing them out. I have never installed it, but my question is would it be a big improvement over the Vega which I am happy with or should I leave well enough alone?

I've used both. I'd leave it alone, unless you notice a problem. Are the rails the same length?

The Vega fence is lighter, which can be helpful if you lift it off and on the saw frequently. If you attach featherboards to your fence that push downward, you want either the weight of the Bies, or the hook at the back of the Vega that works fine as long as you don't attach an outfeed table to get in the way. The fine adjust on the Vega is nice.

If you tend to push hard sideways on your fence, the Bies will deflect less. But the Vega does not deflect under what I'd consider normal use. There are some do-dads that can ride in the track at the top of the Vega. I've not tried them.

They are both very nice fences.

Blog Entries
    Both nice fences. I wouldn't change unless there was something bothering me about the Vega.

P.s. I have a Bies.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

one of my 10" table saws:

2565914910104952478ZheyyQ_th.jpg2815791290104952478RLEmAc_th.jpg

just in case you were wondering what it would look like installed.

I have had both also on two different saws that I have had. I would not change one for the other they are both good, but I don’t feel one is better than the other. Sell the Biesemeyer and use the money for something else in the shop that you may need.

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Robert -

Sent you a PM. I've got the older Craftsman as well and have been looking to upgrade from the stock fence.

+1 to Richard's comment. I've also had both, happy with both. Plus with the Vega you've got the finger saver thingy which I do miss.

The Biese is more robust and possibly more reliable, but if your Vega is functioning fine, no reason to change it. The Biese doesn't have the micro adjust either, which is a function you might miss if you use it.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

+ 2 to Richard's (and Jim's) comment. I have a Vega on an old Craftsman TS and the Biese on my new Unisaw. After using both, they are both great but I would see no reason to change the Vega out unless you are having issues. I do miss the micro adjust feature that is on the Vega and it is easier to remove from the saw when not in use.
    Last edited by Doug Colombo; 05-27-2011 at 9:07 AM.

Which Vega fence do you have? They make a "Utility" and a "Pro." The Utility is about 3" wide while the Pro is 4". Both are excellent. If you have the 4" Vega, it is every bit as good as the Bies. In our shop we changed our three Unisaws to the Vega Pro and our Contractor Saw to the Vega Utility. I still own the CS and the Utility fence is still going strong.
    Howie.........