Thread: Maple - how to achieve this color

Maple - how to achieve this color

I am going to be making a couple nightstands to match our existing bedroom furniture. The included picture is the actual style/finish I am striving for. It is from the same company's web site that our existing furniture came from, and they claim it is maple. I would like to use maple as I have plenty on hand, but I am concerned about my finishing skills and being able to match this (at least come close). Anyone have any ideas on how one might achieve this color on hard maple, or have a species they would recommend using instead of maple?

Thanks!

affd64c4d4a2c6ab39953eafb01c5f4e.jpg

That looks close to a Dresser my wife stripped and refinished. It was rock maple. After a few experiments she laid down a coat of Min-wax pre-stain wood conditioner, then stained with Min-wax red mahogany. her previous attempts without the conditioner were pretty blotchy. With the conditioner, it looked great!

Kris,
    Is that all brown, or is there a red component to it? Is there a darker glaze in the recessed areas?

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Fiore View Post
    Kris,
    Is that all brown, or is there a red component to it? Is there a darker glaze in the recessed areas?
    There is a slightly red component to it. The recessed areas don't seem to be much darker, only where there is end grain.

You should take this question to the Finishing Forum. Scott, Howard and Steve'll set you right.

If it were me, I'd accomplish this with this schedule:

Medium brown aniline dye (in DNA), sprayed.
    Shellac seal coat, sprayed
    Gel stain to match
    Shellac seal coat, sprayed
    Black or dk brn glaze
    Top coat

I take one of the drawers to a reputable paint store, I've used Sherwin Williams, they can match stains by sampling a piece, I think with a computer digital scan. They were able to match the window trim stain for some replacement windows I put into a 70 year old house. Turned out well.

Blog Entries
    When staining maple don't sand to 220 or higher. Stop at 150 grit and more color will show from your stain. The base wood could very well be maple. A lot of furniture companies spray on a wood finish like Minwax Polyshades. It's nearly impossible to match with out spray equipment. I did a bookcase a number of years ago and struggled to get the finish dark enough. The pre-stain conditioner will help a lot.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A lot of companies use toner and shading stains to put the color on.
    Most of the color is on top of the wood.
    Dave