Thread: Looking for a tailstock to a craftsman lathe

Looking for a tailstock to a craftsman lathe

As a low-cost way to get started on turning, I recently picked up a Craftsman 315.271150 (same as the Palmgren 84315) varaible speed lathe. It actually should serve fine for getting my feet wet with bowl turning, but it was missing the entire tailstock assembly. Are there any places that specialize in lathe parts? Some of the parts are still available from Sears or Palmgren, but not all of them, and bought as parts, the tailstock would exceed what I paid for the lathe by a factor of 2 or more. It would be nice to be able to turn spindles/table legs, but not for that price. I've set up a alert on ebay, but I was wondering if there were any sites or businesses that were known for carrying used lathe parts.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Barry View Post
    As a low-cost way to get started on turning, I recently picked up a Craftsman 315.271150 (same as the Palmgren 84315) varaible speed lathe. It actually should serve fine for getting my feet wet with bowl turning, but it was missing the entire tailstock assembly. Are there any places that specialize in lathe parts? Some of the parts are still available from Sears or Palmgren, but not all of them, and bought as parts, the tailstock would exceed what I paid for the lathe by a factor of 2 or more. It would be nice to be able to turn spindles/table legs, but not for that price. I've set up a alert on ebay, but I was wondering if there were any sites or businesses that were known for carrying used lathe parts.
    Geoff,

Good luck.........I had a 351.217170 and it broke a gear shaft.........not one available on planet earth.....sears is out of the lathe business, as far a a craftsman..........Palmgren may be your only hope, and that is not a certainty............I had to get an entirely new lathe...........which now I do not regret.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My expectations are low But the pile of parts cost $80, so if I can turn a few bowls, it was well worth it. I go into this knowing that if I like turning, there will be a new lathe in my future. This isn't so much a starter lathe as it is a trial lathe, which is why I'm not going to spend a lot just trying to get a tailstock.

Geoff, I have a Sears 113.228162 model lathe with the tail stock. I don't know if the tail stock will fit yours or not but you are welcome to it if it does.

can you post a picture of what yours looks like and also the measurements of it, I have an old craftsman tube lathe ready to get trashed.

I really appreciate the offers, but I'm afraid the only tailstocks that would fit would be from either the same lathe, or the Palmgren 84315. These were 15" swing over the beds (which are flat, about 4" wide, with about 1.5-2" gap in the middle - when I get home this evening, I can measure to be exact), which unfortunately does not appear to be a common size. My googling has turned up nothing, though there's someone selling the same lathe (that needs new belts) on CL in Minneapolis for $100, so I may see if they're interested in parting it out if it doesn't sell. ON the bright side, it cost me $80 to get started in bowl turning, and if I really need to turn spindles with this, I have a friend with the same lathe and I can always borrow his tailstock. I was just hoping that there's some well-known graveyard of broken lathes from which one can get parts

FYI, this is what it looks like: 3n73p23l25V55Y05S5b5mb72c6d968f69168a.jpg

Good luck - my tube model definately will not fit!

Geoff, I went to Sears parts direct and looked up part number and couldn't find it..but I transposed a couple of numbers to 351.217150 and it sure looks like your lathe. Anyway, I checked the parts list and found that new tailstock parts are available. Unfortunately, the tailstock piece (without the associated and necessary parts) costs the same as what you just paid for the whole pile of parts that you just put together.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...tSearch&blt=11
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson