Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning protection

Unhappy Turning protection

Ok, this is something I've been thinking about since I read of the first turning accident years ago.

In another thread Curt talks about flying turnings breaking 3/4" MDF shelves and denting refrigerators 15' away. In my own experience the bowl came off the lathe and flew all the way across the garage and hit my bench and then rolled another 10-15 feet before it came to a stop.

Everyone is quick to say "get a face shield", and I have and everyone should, without a doubt. But that is only a small part of your body that needs protection.

What about chest protection? Any piece of heavy, fast moving wood like those described above would cave in your chest pretty easily. And it doesn't even need to break any bones to kill you: there have been baseball players and basketball players who've had their hearts stopped by a hit to the chest in just the right place and just the wrong time. They lived because there were people around watching them that came to there rescue.

Does anyone protect their chest? Motocross chest protector? Umpire's gear? Keeping your cage on your lathe and actually using it??

I'm not too shy to say that I truly feared for my life when I was turning that manzanita bowl a while ago. And that is when I really started thinking about this.

Thoughts?

Greg,

When I started turning the Spring of 2010, I used the guard for a while. It seems to be in the way, so I quit using it. It is still on the lathe and lately have been using it for a shelf, which adds more danger.

I am going to start using it again. I think most people treat guards like seat belts.

I like the timing of our posts, really close. I dont know if the poll was up yet when you responded, but please vote.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    Greg,
    I think most people treat guards like seat belts.
    Maybe we need to get the vendors involved and have them do the same: If you don't have your guard down and locked the lathe chimes at you non-stop.

I like the timing of our posts, really close. I dont know if the poll was up yet when you responded, but please vote.
    Very close. And I was the first to vote and reply.

Here is what I now wear....

Turning-protection.jpg
    Last edited by Larry Marley; 05-21-2011 at 1:34 PM.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Marley View Post
    Here is what I now wear....

Turning-protection.jpg
    Larry, I like your garb. Very stylish I notice that because of the obvious discomfort of having it a full suit you use your hands to protect the important regions. Now the question I have is who does the turning
    I turn, therefore I am

Would you believe, careful placement of the tool rest?
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Most dangerous thing I see turners do alot is stand in the line of fire while roughing. To be honest, I think that efficient roughing techniques should be stressed more during turning demos. I tried to cover that a bit in more depth last time I demoed in Utah.

Fast easy safer roughing is a major breakthrough once's it's figure out. Even with full time turners, some really still get more beat up by the wood and gouge than necessary.

Blog Entries
    Honestly, if we just take a very short moment before we hit the on switch in respect for those not so lucky, it'll allow us to ask ourselves if everything is in place to use the tool safely.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 05-21-2011 at 3:14 PM.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

I like this!

While I am all for safety and protecting yourself from flying wood....I think something needs to be said about tool technique and turning practices. I have been reading a lot about flying chunks of wood on this and other sites and it appears that some turners seem to have more incidents than others. Why is this, is the question everyone should be asking.

I have only been turning for a couple years and I have had several pieces come flying off the chuck. In almost every instance I can blame it on the idiot holding the tool and the way it was held against the wood. A couple other times it was because I tried to chuck up a punky piece that I knew better. Either way, MY FAULT. Inexperience was the major contributor.

As my skills have improved, the occurances of flying blanks have decreased. I have only really been "hit" once, in the bicept, and it was my fault.

My point is that if you experience a lot of flying blanks or chunks of wood....maybe you should re-examine your technique. I don't like wearing the el-cheapo face shield I own and wont wear it unless I sense a high probability of debri hitting me. Its uncomfortable and hard to see details through. Having said that, I will be looking at other options while in St Paul. We will see.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I do wear a facesheild when turning but as far as anything else,I have not. I try to be careful when I put something in the chuck but I know there is always a possibility of something comming loose. So far I've only slung one nice bowl across the room. It was scary but I know it happens. I'm just glad it went in the other direction and not toward me.

Not only motor cycles & cars SPEED KILLS
    I have not read of a turner being killed or fatial injury from a spring pole or treddle lathe
    Be not in such a hurry to get it done
    They in the past have made articles as pretty as todays
    Safety Pays

13. A wood lathe is like any other item in our world, you can abuse it, over power it, run it to fast. If a blank is unbalenced, are you know there are splits, or bark that can fly off, then use a face shield, take it easy, however when your number comes up, it is time to go. Forrest Gump said, " Stuff Happens" and that is all I have to say about that!!

I don't think you need to worry about the rest of your body. The tool rest and base usually deflect (and thus reduce the energy) any sizable shrapnel from hitting you anywhere below the neck. I also think if someone were to take a hit below the neck you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that has had anymore than a bruise to show for it.

In all the time I've been turning everything seems to fly out the back, up or into my face. I guess it's possible that the tool could dislodge a chunk and it travel down your arms and such but it's not happened to me. I've had a piece come loose and snap the tool rest post on an old cast tool rest but that's about it. But I would suspect that you hands and forearms would take the brunt of the impact not the rest of your body.

When you consider... an 18" piece of wood spinning at 1000rpm and it were to break free the fastest that piece could travel is about 55mph; which isn't all that fast really. Certainly will hive you a heck of a thump in the face, or loose an eye as a friend did when the lense from his glasses was pushed into his eye, but not enough to really put your body in danger... Especially when you compare it to being hit in the ribs by a 80mph fastball without a chest protector

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ketell View Post
    Ok, this is something I've been thinking about since I read of the first turning accident years ago.

In another thread Curt talks about flying turnings breaking 3/4" MDF shelves and denting refrigerators 15' away. In my own experience the bowl came off the lathe and flew all the way across the garage and hit my bench and then rolled another 10-15 feet before it came to a stop.

Everyone is quick to say "get a face shield", and I have and everyone should, without a doubt. But that is only a small part of your body that needs protection.

What about chest protection? Any piece of heavy, fast moving wood like those described above would cave in your chest pretty easily. And it doesn't even need to break any bones to kill you: there have been baseball players and basketball players who've had their hearts stopped by a hit to the chest in just the right place and just the wrong time. They lived because there were people around watching them that came to there rescue.

Does anyone protect their chest? Motocross chest protector? Umpire's gear? Keeping your cage on your lathe and actually using it??

I'm not too shy to say that I truly feared for my life when I was turning that manzanita bowl a while ago. And that is when I really started thinking about this.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 05-21-2011 at 11:38 PM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Protection is good, so are good reflexes... seriously... I have actually had people ask me "why do they put them cages on them wood lathes for?"..... if you have to ask you may not need one...lol
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant