Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router plane question

Lee Valley just added six new sizes 3 inch & 3 metric. They are on sale for a few more days.
    If you need the link, I can post it later this evening.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I can't find these new blades either so posting a link would be most appreciated.

Narrow Blades for Lee Valley Router Plane

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,43698&p=67484
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by jamie shard View Post
    I had a thought... if you used a thin shaving as a shim, you could place it under the router body, drop the blade to the reference surface of the last cut, then remove the shim and you would have a new cut of the thickness of the shaving. Extra work though.
    Hi Jamie

You are on the right track. Better, however, to use the depth stop to set the depth of cut, then you can work your way to it incrementally (so as to avoid tearing away the layers).

The following was a picture used in the feedback to LV, with the depth stop removed, so imagine it still in the router plane. All one needs do is "squeeze" the hinge between the stop and the lower edge of the adjuster mechanism (much the same way you would do so on a power router) ..

(Tip: hold the router plane upside-down to do this ... that is how it is in the picture).

Hi Mike

I see the link to the blades is up. I am going to send off for some myself.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I am a little curious as to why LV does not make these blade sizes to match other tools. Like their plow plane. The router plane compliments the plow very well.

For hinge mortises I suggest the Lie Nielsen butt mortise plane. I tried it at a recent Lie Nielsen event and am sold on it. When you study the butt mortise plane it's basically a long thin router plane with the blade sideways which is great for hinge mortises.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Jim - Jamie's suggestion was for a way to do it when you don't have an adjusting nut, such as on the small LN router plane. If you have the wheel adjuster you can just do what you suggested.

Mike
    Mike - I have the LV large router plane, and the small L-N model. While you're 100% correct that a micro-adjust (which both companies large planes have, I think) is the easiest to use, I've been successful with the L-N small router plane by simply adjusting the depth with a small brass hammer. It takes a little getting used to, but after that, going a bit deeper without going overboard is pretty easy.

For those that are metric-challenged (like me), here are the 6 sizes in the Queen's measurements:

1.5/16" (the 3/32")
    1.88/16" (the 3mm)
    2/16" (the 1/8")
    2.52/16" (the 4mm)
    3/16"
    3.78/16" (the 6mm)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Verwoest View Post
    I am a little curious as to why LV does not make these blade sizes to match other tools. Like their plow plane. The router plane compliments the plow very well.
    RE: plow plane/router plane sizes.
    1/8", 3/16", 1/4" Three out of five is pretty good.

Henry Ford