Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snakes and Workshops

Snakes and Workshops

I never usually log in from home (Check on my lunch break at work), but wanted to post this figuring a lot of you may read at night, so I can see some replies tomorrow.

I am deathly afraid of snakes, people tell me Black snakes are good to have around etc. To me the only good snake is a dead one. I cannot even watch them on TV. Hence why I have not done a search of the forum for snakes, since I would like to sleep tonight.

So, my question is, and this may get long winded, I have an old 2 car detached garage that I call my 'shop', it is in need of repair and luckily I have only had 2 snakes in there in 10 years that I have seen. Now I am just getting into Turning, I am wondering about the shavings I leave. Will this encourage snakes to nestle in them. therefore scaring the you know what out of me when I clean up, or am I just letting my imagination get the better of me.

I am a little like Mr. Keaton for cleanliness , but sometimes it is late and I just want to go to bed, and clean up later.

OK, back out to turning, if that's what I can call what I am doing right now.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Howard View Post
    I never usually log in from home (Check on my lunch break at work), but wanted to post this figuring a lot of you may read at night, so I can see some replies tomorrow.

I am deathly afraid of snakes, people tell me Black snakes are good to have around etc. To me the only good snake is a dead one. I cannot even watch them on TV. Hence why I have not done a search of the forum for snakes, since I would like to sleep tonight.

So, my question is, and this may get long winded, I have an old 2 car detached garage that I call my 'shop', it is in need of repair and luckily I have only had 2 snakes in there in 10 years that I have seen. Now I am just getting into Turning, I am wondering about the shavings I leave. Will this encourage snakes to nestle in them. therefore scaring the you know what out of me when I clean up, or am I just letting my imagination get the better of me.

I am a little like Mr. Keaton for cleanliness , but sometimes it is late and I just want to go to bed, and clean up later.

OK, back out to turning, if that's what I can call what I am doing right now.
    If you clean up your shavings when finished with each turning session, you are not likely to have any issues...........unless you have a good number of mice around..........then snakes will come no matter what you do....
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

black snakes will keep the other snakes away but hogs will eat the snakes too

Unlike man, most living creatures have only two things are their mind - procreation and eating. (They don't woodturn, play golf, or any of those other frivolities!) So, the shavings do not present a warm environment and unless you leave them there long enough that the mice nest in them, I don't think a snake would find the area particularly attractive.

Trevor - I am not the one with the dislike of snakes - so take this with a grain of salt but I don't believe you have anything to worry about when it comes to your shop. The only reason you would have snakes there would be to get something to eat and if they were in your shop... take a day off and let them go to work for you! The snakes are probably more afraid of you than you are of them.... seriously. They don't mean you any harm - and I wouldn't worry about them being in your shop.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

As long as they don't have a rattle attached, Oh the heck with it kill them
    Last edited by John Keeton; 05-18-2011 at 9:07 PM.

Wish I lived closer because I will catch everyone I see. I would be glad to remove them. Rattles or no rattles there all fun and a challenge to deal with. I have several King snakes that hang around here and one in paticular I know I have caught it at least twice so far. Looking foward to seeing it again this year. Hopefully it has grown. Last year it was only about 4ft long.

I have snakes all over my property. I see them regularly and a variety of flavors. But I have never seen one in my shop.

Spray a little lacquer....see it that helps
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Snakes like to lay their eggs in rotting wood or sawdust piles(it produces a little heat). You would probably be safe leaving the curlies overnight though.

Well since no one can seem to give you good honest advice and since you know you have had at least two snakes in the past the only real solution is to burn the place down and clear the land and build a concrete fortress...on stilts. Ya just can't be too careful. Man I hate em too.

Scatter moth balls around shop doors and edges found that helps

Just make sure you don't have an apple tree near the old garage.

Keep their food away, and they won't bother to come around. Moth balls sound like a good idea. Walnut shavings would be good as well because nothing likes them. Frogs, toads, salamanders and worms are other foods that they will eat, depending on the snake, and Garter snakes will even eat slugs. Me, I started picking them up when I was about 5 or so. Oh yea, they will also seek out birds, eggs, and bats.

robo hippy

Thanks for all the replies guys, the general impression given is what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by John W Dixon View Post
    Well since no one can seem to give you good honest advice and since you know you have had at least two snakes in the past the only real solution is to burn the place down and clear the land and build a concrete fortress...on stilts. Ya just can't be too careful. Man I hate em too.
    This definitely get my vote if LOML would go for it

I'm with you Trevor...shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots