Thread: Using a Bosch 1617/RA1165 under a table?

Using a Bosch 1617/RA1165 under a table?

I was in the borg the other day buying a few Jorgensen parallel jaw clamps --thanks to the Menards sale somewhere far away -- and happened to notice that they are carrying a new combo package of the Bosch 1617 Router motor. Instead of the fixed/plunge bases, this combo package has the fixed base and an under table base (RA1165).

I have been working without a router table for too long and am planning to build a cabinet base and maybe buy the top. Since I already have the 1617 plunge/fixed combo and like it a lot for handheld work....seemed like a nice idea to keep it all compatible. I could see having two identical fixed bases as very handy when making dado/sliding dovetails, etc. And then just pop the second motor back under the table.

Seems there is a lot of preference for a bigger routers under the table -- say 3HP. But, it seems the RA1165 base has been offered for some time as an accessory.

Any users with experience in this combo?

My only router is a 1617 with the fixed/plunge bases. I have the fixed base permanently mounted in my shop-made table and have yet to have an issue with the reduced power in the table. Then again I've never tried to spin large panel raisers or perform other power hungry operations.

Despite the lower power level I find having the router in the table in conjunction with a decent fence make some operations a great deal more enjoyable than trying to do them by hand.

Edit: just re-read your post and noticed you're asking specifically about the new table-mounted base. I'm curious as well to hear about that option.

I also have the fixed base of my 1617 mounted permanently under my Lee Valley Veritas steel top. Fits great and the access for the wrenches is good.

You can buy the RA1165 base for around $50 and then you would have more money to put to the table. I had the RA1165 and it worked ok after I did a little mode to it. I would pop the little clip off the top of the shaft and it would go flying. I put a small collar on and that took care of it.
    One thing I didn't like was locking the motor in place after you adjusted it, it would move a small amount and then you would have to reset it. After about 2 years of it I bought a Jessem FX and that was really sweet.

You can buy a Jessem FX for around $190, with this lift there is one lever to move and the motor drops right out.

So I guess its all a money thing and how much you want to spend.

This is the mod and the FX.
    r mod.jpg FX.jpg