Thread: Hearing Protection

Hearing Protection

Does any one know of a company That sells Earmuff type hearing protection With a decent Radio in them? I would be willing to spend money on a good set but would like to know if they work before ordering.

I have have several pair of the cheaper ones now and reseption is poor they usually have one ear that cuts in and out. I would love to beable to listen to the satellite radio with them. We live in an area where you have to stand one foot and wave your arms around to get a radio station.

Thanks for your help again

Kirk

Peltor

Peltor sell what you are after. Get out the cheque book, they are expensive but would be nice.

I have a pair of these AO earmuffs. They look the same as the Peltor. I was thinking of getting a pair, then saw them on closeout at HD. They work beautifully. I use both the radio and ipod function. I listened to two complete John LaCarre books while working on my last project. My daughter also likes to borrow them for long car trips. Her music doesn't leak out to irritate me and vice versa.

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-9054.../dp/B0013092CS

The Peltor Worktunes models do a good job with AM/FM radio. I've never seen earmuffs with satellite radio. Peltor and AOL offer earmuffs with jacks intended for your personal music player, but you could plug in other sources, like a satellite radio. Do satellite radios work well indoors?

On a related note....

Does anyone know of earmuffs that have MP3 capability built-in? (as in: memory built-in, not connected via a cord)

Joe,

You could always get one of these, and use with one of the radio recieving sets of earmuffs....http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eznex-EzCu...y-Red/15599867

There's lots of FM Transmitters that could hook to a standard mp3 player. The trick is getting one that doesn't get its power from a car 12v adapter.

I have the antena mounted on the south wall and it works great it is one of those boom box dock station radios. Havew used it for 2 years and it works great. I would like to get from the sat to the ear phone with out wire so I don't hang my self

The Peltors are dependent on local radio station signal strength. If your in a city or nearby suburb youll be fine, if your on the perimeter as i am they will drive you nuts; walking three feet in any direction in my shop causes them to drop in and out. I stopped using them.

Mike,

It takes the output signal that would normally go to your headphones, and instead turns it into a very low power radio station. It works within a few meters, but not much past that, but for a shop, should be sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vaughn View Post
    Joe....You could always get one of these [FM transmitters for MP3 players] and use [it] with one of the radio recieving sets of earmuffs....There's lots of FM Transmitters that could hook to a standard mp3 player. The trick is getting one that doesn't get its power from a car 12v adapter.
    In my experience, the real trick with one of those transmitters is getting one that "broadcasts" more than a foot or two. You might be able to use one taped to the headband (in which case you might as well hard-wire it), but you could never walk around a shop area and keep reception. And they consume a lot of power, just plowing through a charge. Hence the question about muffs with the MP3 player built-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    In my experience, the real trick with one of those transmitters is getting one that "broadcasts" more than a foot or two. You might be able to use one taped to the headband (in which case you might as well hard-wire it), but you could never walk around a shop area and keep reception. And they consume a lot of power, just plowing through a charge. Hence the question about muffs with the MP3 player built-in.
    I have a FM transmitter card in my PC, I can pick it up clearly for about 250 yards.
    It is imported and not cheap, but I have used mine for about 5 years with no problems.
    I listen to satellite radio in my shop all day and when mowing the grass, and can also listen to streaming internet, music files or anything I want to plug into the input.
    here is a link: http://www.pcs-electronics.com/pc-tr...ters-c-64.html
    Dave