Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best CNC Router for the Money

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If you do go the ADA make sure you are compliant with their codes. Also the software can be expensive.
    Jerome,

What software?
    The NIB grade 2 braille interpreter is free.
    You can get a Corel Draw script from Aaron Koehl that will produce grade 2 braille with a simple click if you are using a laser engraver or you can export the file to Aspire or Vcarve Pro if you want to drill the holes with your CNC router.

There is a learning curve but it isn't steep, the ADAG only has about three paragraphs of text that involve ADA signs but the requirements can vary from state to state because there is an ANSI standard that some states have adopted.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    We don't warm up our Biesse rover pod unit It has a 10.5 HP hsd spindle.
    At my last job, we never warmed up the two 10HP HSD spindles on a Masterwood. The one that was used constantly lasted about 7 years before needing bearing replacement.

At my current job, we don't warm up the 15HP spindle on a Morbidelli, that cuts 8 hours a day at 1000IPM. In my experience, the big machine companies don't teach warming up the spindle in their training.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Gerry...
    If it didnt have a specific section saying you "must" in the manual, I wouldnt do it either. Well that, and the fact that I pay for my own spindles.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

It's colder up there than it is here, too.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Where can I get the free translator software from

The National Institute for the Blind has a free translator but it doesn't have an interface which is what Aaron Koehl provides.

As Scott mentioned, save the $1800 and go with a router and upgrade to Aspire. Now that brings up another question. According to the Vectric site Aspire is $1995. You can get VCarve Pro, Photo Carve and Cut 3D bundled together for $947. What more can Aspire do that those can not do? I have spent all morning looking at videos and I'm so amazed at the software. I programmed CNC machines for about 4 years but it was about 10-12 years ago and that blows what I used away. I'm ready to dive in and watching the videos makes it look so easy to use too. Just wondering what the extra $1000 gets you.
    Epilog Helix 24

it will get you the ability to actually model in 3d, i have sent you a pm.

for now you can download the full working demos and learn the programs, (you can save files for later use) start with vcarve and learn the bulls head sign, it is a good start point
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 07-10-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Anyone who uses a router or is thinking of using a router in a CNC machine should look into buying a Super PID. It's a way of accurately controlling the RPM of your router, essentially making it into spindle (well kind of at least).
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

The speeds and feeds of my router don't need to be that precise I can see by the chips and hear the router cutting to no I am in the required range.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

The Super-PID gives you're router more power at the lower rpm's than the standard speed controls, and allows it to spin as slow as 5000 rpm. Runs cooler, too.
    Also allows Mach3 to turn it on/off, and control the rpm with g-code, with no additional hardware required.
    Gerry

JointCAM

12. Best CNC for the Money

I have had my Shopbot for close to 3 years, never a problem. When I have had a question or anything related to it, there customer service was great. Now they offer 5th axis option.

My only up would be selling my Bridgeport and getting a Haas CNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A Johnson View Post
    My only up would be selling my Bridgeport and getting a Haas CNC.
    A Haas or Fadal, I would love either one of them.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

14. it will get you the ability to actually model in 3d
    I was looking for the 3d tools in Aspire and found none can you explain?

I have only played with the demo but the 3D options for design are under the modeling tab...or farther down the screen for older versions and there are a few extra tool path options specific for 3D work.
    - Shane

Shenhui SH-G350 60W, Joe's 4x4 CNC, V-Carve, Corel, Mach3, Laserwork and tons of woodworking tools!